• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Export settings for small size yet good quality .mov files in iMovie 11?

Reaction score
Hello!

For work I have created a Photo Story with iMovie 11 and finalized my project, then tried to upload it on Vimeo but the quality was awful.

Basically I need to do two things:
1) Upload it on Vimeo
2) Create a file small enough to be shared by email (or Drop Box, but still managebale for people who have low speed internet connection)

In both case I need good quality yet not too heavy exports, and it seems iMovie really ***** at that...

Would you be kind enough to advise me on the export settings (under Quick Time movie export) to choose in each case for an optimum result?

Thank you very much in advance!

OP
L
Reaction score
It is actually a Photo Story (series of photos with music & sounds on them), and the total length is 10mn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
What was the resolution of the original photos? Try using the Export Movie option in iMovie's Share menu and choose the larger size options. That'll give you an m4v file using h264 which should give you good quality. At only 10 mins, it should fit Vimeo's 500Mb limit for a basic account.

OP
L
Reaction score
Thank you very much! That is what I did indeed, and yes I can upload it on Vimeo, but it takes quite some time to buffer when you watch the video and my colleagues in Nagaland don't really have a good connection...

Also, the size of that file (300MB) is definitely too heavy for them to download...

So I really need to find a way to export my movie in a small size file (say 30MB) while keeping a decent quality; which I haven't been able to do so far...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
but it takes quite some time to buffer when you watch the video
Yes, that will be related to both the quality setting, and hence the file size, of the video and the speed of the internet connection.

So I really need to find a way to export my movie in a small size file (say 30MB) while keeping a decent quality; which I haven't been able to do so far...
Unfortunately you won't. The smaller the file size, the worse the quality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.