Airport Express as a WAN

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am currently using a cisco wireless router for my wireless network at home. I have set up my Airport Express to work as a range extender for the wireless signal from the cisco. I want to use the Express as a LAN port so i can plug in my xbox360(older model without wireless built in). The airport will allow the ethernet port function as a LAN port when setup as a WDS remote station. Unfortunately this only works when the network is running from an apple device(airport extreme or another express).

The best information I was able to find was here:
How to Set Up an Airport Express to Provide a Wired Connection : alexking.org

Can anyone help me figure out how to accomplish this without buying another apple wireless router?

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can use the express as a bridge to connect to any existing wireless network. So you can do that then connect your xbox to it. But, as you've noted, you can only 'extend' existing Apple networks.

If the bridge solution works for you, great. If not, consider a micro-router like this. It also wireless network extending, bridge mode, access point mode and more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.