Installing Windows on the most recent iMac.

Reaction score
I just recently crossed over to my first Mac desktop. I purchased the latest 3.2GHz iMac, great...had no idea they did away with a disk driver, not great. I do a lot of adobe work so I made the right choice in crossing over but to get a little game enjoyment out of it isn't too much to ask. This is the only reason i want Windows. I've been doing research and there seems to be know way to download genuine Windows software. I've looked into external disk drives and they are way expensive. I'm hoping there's way to sort this out that I maybe overlooked?

If there is already a thread about this that I haven't noticed a link would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Take it you mean an optical drive?

A cheap Samsung SE208 works just fine. Being USB powered only, purchased a cheap four port USB hub as you need two ports to plug it into.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The new iMacs can install Windows via a USB flash drive since they do not have a built in optical drive. Do some Googling, Apple provides the drivers and it's completely doable.

You probably should go ahead and buy the external optical drive Nick linked you to since that will come in handy to install other software and to burn disks. However, you do not an optical drive to install Windows via Boot Camp or as a virtual machine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.