Should I Wait?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning to purchase a new 13" 2.9 GHz MacBook Pro (Non retina) this summer before I start professional school in the fall. Since there wasnt any mention of the MacBook Pros at yesterdays keynote do you think its possible there will be an update later this summer? It looks to me that the last major update to this line was June 2012 and I am worried that if I buy my MacBook now a new one will be out in a few months. Should I wait to see if there is an update or is it not worth it? Thanks for your input!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
there will always be upgrades coming down the pipe. cant be stopped, shouldnt be stopped.

Buy one, or wait. no matter what, there will be a newer model coming anyway, and generally sooner than you expect/want.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Should I wait to see if there is an update or is it not worth it? Thanks for your input!

Someone purchasing a new computer is ALWAYS concerned about something new coming out right after they purchase something. About the only thing you can do is wait as long as you can...until you absolutely MUST buy something (in this case for school).

Maybe Apple comes out with something in July, maybe September, maybe October, maybe December...who knows.

Like I mentioned. Wait as long as you can...then buy.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Wait as long as you can...then buy.:)

- Nick

I agree. But be sure to give yourself enough time to get aquainted with the OS if this is your first Mac.

Reaction score
For me i think you should get it now. But that's only my opinion okies? Think a hundred times before you make your decision :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
As best as we can guess, Apple is only a yearly refresh cycle across all of their product lines. Unfortunately, the exact timing is always speculation and so to echo what the others have said. Research the capabilities of the current generation MBP, if it fits you need, budget and timing. Purchase it.

Is the next generation MBP going to have something the current generation doesn't have? Absolutely, that's to be expected. As to what exactly it is going to be is anyone's guess. A processor and GPU upgrade are likely good candidates, but beyond that who knows..

It's hard to chase technology upgrades...:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.