Would like to upgrade ram on mid-2010 Macbook

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm headed to college this fall and I would like to upgrade the ram on my mid-2010 macbook pro 2.66GHz core i7. This is the 17" model, if it matters at all.

Right now I have 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3. I've read that I can't or shouldn't go higher than 8gb, but I think 8gb will be a big improvement. I'll be a photo major, so a little more pep in photoshop would be nice.

I was wondering where the best place is to buy replacement ram for this "old" macbook pro. I found 1067 DDR3 ram 2x4GB on amazon, good reviews, but also some bad...One of which says it didn't work with mid-2010 2.66GHz i7.... Is it important that I stick with the "1067 MHz DDR3"? Excuse my lack of knowledge on the subject.

Also, another quick question... The battery doesn't seem to hold a charge like it used to. No big deal, but I was also wondering if I can pick up a replacement battery for it, somewhere? Best brand? Place to find one?

Thank you very much in advance. I appreciate any input on this topic!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I've read that I can't or shouldn't go higher than 8gb, but I think 8gb will be a big improvement.

This is because 8gig of ram is the max. for this computer. You cannot go with more than 8gig...simply because it wouldn't work!

I was wondering where the best place is to buy replacement ram for this "old" macbook pro.

- OWC
- Crucial.com

...but I was also wondering if I can pick up a replacement battery for it, somewhere? Best brand? Place to find one?

Your local Apple Store...or Apple.com.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One question, why is this ram...and my laptop says 1067MHz? Does it not matter. Here's what my specs are.... If this is what I need to get, I will order it. Thank you very much.

That's because 1066mhz ram is actually 1066.666666666666mhz. So if it's rounded...it would be 1067mhz.

- Nick

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Nick. Now I see crucial is $10 less. On OWC the ram is 1.5V, on Crucial it's 1.35V. I've read that they can be nterchangeable, but which is "original" to my mid 2010 macbook pro? I see on crucial that it says "the less voltage used by the module the better"...? How do I find out what the current voltage rating of my RAM is?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick. Now I see crucial is $10 less. On OWC the ram is 1.5V, on Crucial it's 1.35V. I've read that they can be nterchangeable, but which is "original" to my mid 2010 macbook pro? I see on crucial that it says "the less voltage used by the module the better"...? How do I find out what the current voltage rating of my RAM is?

You're turning this into a PhD. project.;)

Trust me...what Crucial or OWC have listed for your computer is the correct ram.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.