Sandisk SSD Problem a1278 MBP

Reaction score
hi all, i am new here, and looking for some advise

i purchased the sdssd-240g-g25 2 months ago to use on my my 2010 mbp. (a1278) at first the drive worked. then a few days later, it started freezing a few minutes after starting up. so formatted, and tried re-installing mac os (10.6.3), but it would just freeze randomly during the setup process.

i managed to get a replacement drive under warranty (wasnt told what the problem was). so tried installing mac os today and installed fine, but when it got to entering personal information, it just freezes for no reason! so, tried installing windows 7, (to see if there was maybe some sort of hardware conflict) worked first time with no issues. so must be some sort of issue with the drive and mac os? anyone have any ideas? maybe its a driver issue. if it is, how do i install a new driver without having the os in the first place?

has anyone tried this drive in a similar setup with success?

any help would be great!

cheers greg

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Well, no specific driver is used for devices on the SATA bus. I'd be curious to see how it behaves under a modern version of OS X that supports TRIM.

OP
G
Reaction score
just an update, managed to get osx installed. but now i am having the same problem as i was having with the original drive. osx loads, then a minute or 2 later it just goes dead... its strange, because the mouse still moves and can swap between programs, but the programs themselves are frozen.

i plug my old 2.5" drive in, and it works straight away with no problems.

anyone got any ideas?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Like cwa, would be interested in what happens if you install OS X 10.8.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
What version of OS X are you trying to install,is it on a DVD or USB thumb drive or what? The earliest A1278 came with Leopard OS X.5.7 which would be on a DVD. Later models came with OS X.6.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.