• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sony Addresses PS4 game sharing concerns raised by Microsoft's Xbox ONE resale policy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I wonder how much Microsoft is regretting their game sharing policies now.

If it has an impact on sales, the standard boilerplate BS of "We have listened to our customers and..." will be issued. Just in principle, I wouldn't use an MS product if it was on the dollar shelf at WallyWorld, but in this case, a product that bricks itself if it doesn't see an Internet connection would be useless to me.

Apple is bad enough with their No Physical Media standard. To an engineer in Silicon Valley with a zillion megabit port to his/her desktop, it might sound like a good idea, but for someone struggling in the rural areas (heck, or even lots of parts of town) with a "Sometimes on" 1mb connection, it sucks.

I suspect that many if not most of the techies at both Apple and MS grew up in high end neighborhoods and just assume that anyone who wants high speed broadband, just picks up the phone and orders it. I wish that were so.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
If it has an impact on sales, the standard boilerplate BS of "We have listened to our customers and..." will be issued. Just in principle, I wouldn't use an MS product if it was on the dollar shelf at WallyWorld, but in this case, a product that bricks itself if it doesn't see an Internet connection would be useless to me.

Apple is bad enough with their No Physical Media standard. To an engineer in Silicon Valley with a zillion megabit port to his/her desktop, it might sound like a good idea, but for someone struggling in the rural areas (heck, or even lots of parts of town) with a "Sometimes on" 1mb connection, it sucks.

I suspect that many if not most of the techies at both Apple and MS grew up in high end neighborhoods and just assume that anyone who wants high speed broadband, just picks up the phone and orders it. I wish that were so.

I guess they think if you can afford a Xbox One you can afford a decent internet connection? I pay a heck of a lot for my internet connection and it's still slow to me. >_<"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
I guess they think if you can afford a Xbox One you can afford a decent internet connection? I pay a heck of a lot for my internet connection and it's still slow to me. >_<"

Well, I pay about 72 bucks for a nominal 1mb terrestrial wireless. And I was happy to finally get it, since all that was available from the 1980's to about 3 years ago was an ATT locked down half speed dialup - 26k max. I would pay more - much more - for a decent 4mb broadband, but in this very rural area, it ain't even a possibility. No other options available.

My Dad lived in an apartment in Austin and only used his desktop for email and surfing the golf news. He paid about fifteen bucks/month and usually got a speedtest.net reading of about 16mb.

Sigh...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.