Run Windows software on a Mac using WineBottler!

Reaction score
I've been loathe to install a Windows partition on my shiny new MacBook Pro, especially since it only has a 250GB SSD. I spent a lot of dough on the Mac, along with the accessories (like an external Blu-Ray drive, a nice laptop bag, Office for Mac, extra power supply, etc), so I'm a cheap ******* when it comes to extras I might not really need, like VM-Ware or Parallels. So I did some searching, and I found WINE! Not the kind you drink from a bottle but, more specifically, software called "WineBottler", which you install onto the Mac as an App, and you then drag .EXE files (or self-extracting .EXE installers) into the App's icon. What it does is create a Windows environment the program will run in, and you can use OS-X at the same time.

I've read that it doesn't work with everything. I can only report on one program with which it works so far......I'm a big fan of a REALLY old, pre-internet game called "TradeWars 2002", which was originally played on BBS systems (but now there are game server websites). It's an ANSI text-based game, but in Windows I used a helper program called SWATH, which basically allows for scripting and some automation for game tasks such as port pair trading, ship-to-ship and ship-to-planet combat, port robbing, planet-to-port trading, etc, in a nicely laid-out GUI. It ONLY runs in Windows, but it works flawlessly with WineBottler.

Here is the link to their page. Totally free to download and use! You do NOT need to download Wine also - WineBottler contains the basic Wine software.

WineBottler | Downloads of WineBottler and Wine.app

Make sure you choose the correct version for your version of OS-X. I'm running it on a MacBook Pro 15" Retina, in 10.8.4 Mountain Lion.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved to the appropriate forum - here. "Running Windows........."

By the way, WineBottler (which includes WINE) has been around for a long time and many of us including myself use it. However, it's good to remind folks that it's free and can be useful to run some Windows programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Another Free alternate app to WineBottler is Wineskin which I prefer. I have my Windows music programs running like AutoBPM, Sony CDArchitect, MPCEditor and Propellerheads RB-338 Rebirth.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
It doesnt run all windows exe's. But it does run a good number.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Even better than WineBottler or WineSkin is to use Crossover. However, Crossover is not free but they do offer a free special once in awhile. You just have to keep your eyes open for when they do. I got my copy earlier this year during one of those free specials. It works great and is much easier to install Windows executables than using the WINE derivatives above.

Note though.... if you're a gamer, Boot Camp is the way to go.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
If you watch Cult of Mac deals, Crossover comes up with a discount quite often. I got it for $10 a while back. I use Crossover for a lot of things, but the one I use most is IE9 (for testing.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.