• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Guys/Gals near an Apple store

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014 i5 5k 32gb 1tb fusion, second TB display, 2014 MBA
Anybody been in an Apple store today (6/10) to see if the new stuff is already there? Particularly the MBA. I see that the web site has immediate shipment, but the chances would be better to get someone in NSA on the phone than any actual person in a Mac store.

Mine is a hundred miles away - too far to go if they don't have anything yet. I assume they do - last time the Air was announced, it was immediately available.

Thanks, anybody

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My closest Apple store is only about 10 to 15 minutes from my home. I'll probably head that way if I have some free time this week to see what they have.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
My nearest Apple Store is also only about 10 minutes away (2 miles). On days like today...I like to steer clear of the Apple Store!;)

- Nick

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My nearest Apple Store is also only about 10 minutes away (2 miles). On days like today...I like to steer clear of the Apple Store!;)

- Nick

10 minutes to a real Apple store. Hard to imagine. Around here, we have to drive 15 miles just to buy a candy bar. Of course, in this area, 2 miles only takes about 90 seconds (any slower and the pickup cowboys will run you over).

But, in town, there is a store that sometimes has a flash drive or two for sale on the counter.:Mischievous:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
10 minutes to a real Apple store. Hard to imagine. Around here, we have to drive 15 miles just to buy a candy bar. Of course, in this area, 2 miles only takes about 90 seconds (any slower and the pickup cowboys will run you over).

But, in town, there is a store that sometimes has a flash drive or two for sale on the counter.:Mischievous:

I've lived in that sort of place as well. Just so happens I live near an Apple Store at the moment. I bet where you live...it has it's advantages also!:)

- Nick

Reaction score

- Nick

Same here. I don't go anywhere near an Apple Store when new hardware release day.

I did go to an Apple Store 40 miles from my house to pick up the only available iPhone 5 white 32GB in the Los Angeles area, only 5 days after its release. I had to order it via the Apple Store app on my old phone, and then choose "Pick up at an Apple Store", and then search all stores in the area, at just after 10PM. I tried that for 3 days, and lucked out. INSANITY! LOL!!

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
I always call my local Apple store to ask first if they have the new stuff in before I go. My nearest Apple store is about 11 minutes away and parking is kind of a hassle since it in a very large and popular mall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->

- Nick

I have 2 Apple stores within about 20 minutes and I try to steer clear of them at all times. You can hardly move in those darn places! I was in for a repair the other day and it was painful! :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have 2 Apple stores within about 20 minutes and I try to steer clear of them at all times. You can hardly move in those darn places! I was in for a repair the other day and it was painful! :)

Yes...my local Apple Store is a "madhouse" as well. But if you're able to go on "off-hours" (during the day Monday-Friday)...it's much better.:) Weekends...forgetaboutit!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes...my local Apple Store is a "madhouse" as well. But if you're able to go on "off-hours" (during the day Monday-Friday)...it's much better. Weekends...forgetaboutit!

Now that school is out (As of June 6) our local Apple store is a madhouse every day of the week and all day until closing time. Besides, I usually have to wander around for 15 minutes looking for a parking spot.

And if you need a repair from the genius bar...even with an appointment you're still likely to wait some time for your turn.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now that school is out (As of June 6) our local Apple store is a madhouse every day of the week and all day until closing time.

Just imagine being an Apple Store employee this time of year...and the place is packed with high school students playing on the computers...with no intention (or money) of buying a computer.

It's like day-care for teenagers!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Very fortunate. Apple Reseller is an 80 mile round trip so I keep away!

OP
cptkrf
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The answer to my original question is "yes." A quick zoom over to the big city into a mall about the size of my town, got me a new MBA. The store was busy, but it still only took about ten minutes. The interesting part was, when the greeter at the door asked me what I needed, I asked if the new products were in yet, and he said, "I don't know, let me check."

???????

I'm the first person who came in to buy something since the announcement? What the heck were all those other customers doing?

Anyway, physically it is identical to my 2011 model, but much cooler in the lap, and they are right about the battery - it lasts far longer than the old one. Hmmmm. Maybe that's because I haven't installed the Flash battery load tester yet.

It's also considerably faster than my IBM 386 Thinkpad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
Just imagine being an Apple Store employee this time of year...and the place is packed with high school students playing on the computers...with no intention (or money) of buying a computer.

It's like day-care for teenagers!;)

- Nick

I know this feeling, i work at Best Buy in phone sales and our mac table is always packed with kids playing with the MacBooks and dirtying them up. makes me sick. However its got to be 20 times worse at the Apple Store

Reaction score
I can't walk into an Apple Store without feeling like I'm gonna have my iPhone picketed out of my pocket - the nearest one to me is about 25 miles away, and the only time it's never crowded is right after lunchtime, middle of the summer (like July-August) when the WWDC effect has waned.

As far as teens go, the local Best Buy stores fill that void plenty.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.