Startup Drive

Reaction score
I am running OS 10.6.8 on a Mac Mini.

I do not have any apparent problems with my internal HD, but I try to run Disk Warrior once in awhile to keep things running smoothly.

I have rebuilt the directories on my two external drives, but when I try to rebuild the internal start up drive, it goes so far and then just hangs.

I ran a check on the files and have attached the report. It says...

Detected that Property List data is damaged and cannot be repaired.
Conversion of data failed. The file is not UTF-8, or in the encoding specified in XML header if XML.

I have run the Permissions Repair and Disk Repair from the Disk Utility and that tells me those have been repaired successfully.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Download SMARTReporter and see what it has to say about the drive. Disk Utility's Repair Disk is not 100% accurate. Have found DiskWarrior rarely, if ever, gets it wrong.

http://www.corecode.at/smartreporter/

OP
M
Reaction score
start up drive

I've downloaded SMARTReporter and it tells me all ok.

I don't know why Disk Warrior hangs up part way through.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Do you have your Disk Warrior boot disk? I don't think you can repair a system folder while your hard disk is mounted. Boot from the Disk Warrior disk and try again. As a precaution, however, make sure you have a backup before proceeding.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth DW runs far better, and faster, when installed on a USB thumb drive. And you have the DVD for the latest version 4.4?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.