• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple offers a sneak peek at new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Looking at those pictures...it's definitely the reincarnation of the "Mac-Cube"!

Except the new Mac Pro could be called the "Mac-Cylinder"...or the "Mac-Silo"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
I'm starting to hear the 'mac can'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
This is exactly my point...and I'm glad we agree on it!:)

Which means (for the last 2 years)...the inclusion of Thunderbolt ports on Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, and iMac's has really not been necessary. And for folks that have Thunderbolt Display's...they could still be using the old mini-display port 27" display.:)

AND...if the average user has no real need for Thunderbolt...then Apple should certainly remove the Thunderbolt port on Mac-Mini's, MacBook Pro's, and iMac's...and give us a port that the average user can make use of.:)

Whoa... not so fast. I certainly believe Apple should have been including USB 3 across their product lines sooner than they have, but by no means would I concur that they should yank Thunderbolt ports on all but the Mac Pro. Just because the "average" user has no practical use for it doesn't mean NO user has one.

I don't mind so much that it will be smaller & lighter. But it was Apple's last computer model to be a truly internally expandable/upgradeable computer. Which it is always nice to have everything INSIDE of the computer.

With the new Mac Pro's design (if it's designed to have all of it's expansion OUTSIDE of the computer via Thunderbolt)...then a person's desktop can get all cluttered with expansion devices. But then it depends on how much expanding/upgrading a person does.

The new Mac Pro is 1/8th the size of the old ones. For someone who has no need of the internal expandability, the old ones are in fact more cluttered. For someone who only needs the hard drive space, adding an external RAID array still would take up less space. Need a couple PCI slots for some specialized need? I do believe the new Mac Pro, a RAID box, and a Thunderbolt expansion chassis would still take up less space overall.

Anywho, there's always going to be someone you just can't please. The new Mac Pro will be absolutely perfect for a lot of people, perhaps less so for others. If they stuck with the old design, then that would still hold true except the roles would be inverted. I know I'd be less happy with a tower 8x larger than it NEEDS to be for my needs. To be honest, I don't like cable clutter either, but it's not the end of the world and in a working environment, I can see how the new design would be an improvement. Here's links to a couple choice comments from working professionals on Ars Technica's coverage with what their feelings are. I think their observations are very much worth noting.

At long last! Apple announces new Mac Pro with cylindrical design | Ars Technica

At long last! Apple announces new Mac Pro with cylindrical design | Ars Technica

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Looking at those pictures...it's definitely the reincarnation of the "Mac-Cube"!

Except the new Mac Pro could be called the "Mac-Cylinder"...or the "Mac-Silo"!;)

images

This should need no introduction.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
has there been any indication on price?

If that thing is significantly lower in price, that could go a long way to cutting down criticism.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

If you have to ask, you can't afford to buy one! :p

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whoa... not so fast. I certainly believe Apple should have been including USB 3 across their product lines sooner than they have, but by no means would I concur that they should yank Thunderbolt ports on all but the Mac Pro. Just because the "average" user has no practical use for it doesn't mean NO user has one.

Please read what I posted later on after the post that was quoted. I revised my statement...since for the "average user" I remembered that the Thunderbolt port is also a backwards compatible mini-display port.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

If that thing is significantly lower in price, that could go a long way to cutting down criticism.

I agree. But I'm 99% sure it will be expensive...since it IS a "Mac Pro"!:)

Apple needs to maintain a price difference between the Mac Pro and their other computers...otherwise there wouldn't be a perceived superiority to the Mac Pro.

Plus I'm sure that the new Mac Pro's specs will outclass all other Mac's. Except maybe a low-end Mac Pro...which may not be much more than a higher end iMac without a display.

But this is all "crystal-ball" talk!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The new Mac Pro is 1/8th the size of the old ones.

If they stuck with the old design...

No doubt the old case design was getting very very old and tired! Hopefully there wouldn't be too many folks that would differ with that assessment. That case design has been around since the very first Powermac G5 in 2003 (10 years now)!!!

Hopefully the new Mac Pro's case redesign (like it or not)...will create some new excitement at the top-end of Apple's computer lineup. And new excitement is great for both Apple fans and Apple stockholders!!!:):)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
'11 15.4, 2.2, 8gb MBP - '11 15.4, 2.0, 8gb MBP, 2x4gb Gen1 Nano, 8gb Gen3 Nano,
Hopefully the new Mac Pro's case redesign (like it or not)...will create some new excitement at the top-end of Apple's computer lineup. And new excitement is great for both Apple fans and Apple stockholders!!!:):)

- Nick

I think it only results in even more rejection of Apple at the high end.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that could very well be. One of the big draws of the mac pro, was it's internal expansion.

I've been buying expensive machines (over 4k) since my first brand new one the G4 MDD, then the G5, and I owned 2 mac pros before I cut and run and went to the macbook pros when they became super fast to the maxed out retina I have now.

Price didn't stop me on the machines I've bought, but pros, the ones I know, will go PC in heartbeat (as shocking as that may be) if they thought for a minute they had to blow tons more cash to either replace or buy expensive chassises for their expansion stuff.

They are a fickle, cantankerous bunch. Apple seems to have designed a neat thingy for the design studios perhaps, but the real balls to the wall chew on cpu cycles production guys, couldn't care less about the cylindrical design really. These are guys who might be happy to go to the peecee shop and buy a peecee case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
New Mac Pro

Apple - Mac Pro

What?! What is this? This is the new Mac Pro?
One of the things that I loved about the Mac Pro is the ability to upgrade it easily. Adding HDDs Graphics cards, Ram were a breeze. Why did they mac something that looks like a more expensive of a mac mini or the old Cube?

I think they think its gonna be the future. If this tiny thing is the new Mac Pro, they better make sure its not as expensive as the old one. Otherwise I don't see this gimmick working at all for them.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I think they think its gonna be the future. If this tiny thing is the new Mac Pro, they better make sure its not as expensive as the old one.

Don't hold your breath. ;) It wouldn't surprise me to see this machine selling for $3K and on up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't hold your breath. ;) It wouldn't surprise me to see this machine selling for $3K and on up.

Plus a k or two for the external enclosures you are gonna need.

Oh, wait. There are no Thunderbolt 2 enclosures or chassis.

Don't forget the $50 tb cable.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Here's my guess. For the top-end stock configuration...I'm guessing $4999.;)

It's possible there will be options to upgrade the ram & storage at purchase time that could send the final price much higher. But I'm guessing $4999 for the top end configuration (12-core) before any customization.!;)

- Nick

p.s. The current top-end 12-core Mac Pro sells for $3799. And it only has one graphics card, doesn't have any sort of SSD storage, and only 12 gig of ram.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I bet if the bench scores are astronomically high it will sell.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.