• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple offers a sneak peek at new Mac Pro at WWDC 2013

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I bet if the bench scores are astronomically high it will sell.

It was mentioned during the WWDC presentation for the new Mac Pro that it was designed to be good for 10 years. This is a pretty big statement in "computerland"...when we know how fast some systems can be outdated.

So it better have some "kick-butt" benchmark scores!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac (27 inch, Late 2012), Processor: Core i5, Memory: 16GB 1333 Mhz DDR3 running MacOS Catalina
It was mentioned during the WWDC presentation for the new Mac Pro that it was designed to be good for 10 years. This is a pretty big statement in "computerland"...when we know how fast some systems can be outdated.

So it better have some "kick-butt" benchmark scores!!!;)

- Nick

Seeing that it cannot be easily upgraded as the old systems, i.e. graphics cards, ram, disk drives, etc., it better be able to stand with systems 3 years from now. Tech is moving at a rapid pace with new processors and stuff coming out. You need to be able to keep up.

I also think that you see the current trend towards apps being more internet and network related rather than being run locally on your own system. Apple probably is seeing this as the future of applications and seeing everyone having their own servers and networks in their own homes as opposed to one single device.

If the benckmarks don't stand up, then I don't see why anyone would get this when they could have an imac for less.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
I like it.

I recently made the move to Mac and am in the process of phasing out my limping PC that still runs my business software. It's a giant case with room for 6 HDDs, three 5.25 bays and a 3.5 bay (I still have a 1.44FD...)

I decided to go Mac Mini with a couple of external drives and am very happy with the result. The space savings are enormous. I could see this new iCan being a great step up from the Mini when the time comes.

Just a note.... I'm using the Thunderbolt port along with an adapting cable to plug into one of my two 32" 1080p displays so that I can run them both. seems to work great for me!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Oh the Pro.....
1-ThunderBolt (mac states) it is twenty (20) times faster then 3.0 usb port.
2-Small pro=external add ons. Ex. h/d, ex. b/r burner, etc for a video geek like me.
3-LOWER price! YEAH RIGHT. One of my geek co-horts tells me WAIT till it's out for a while, bugs you know. Wait till Apple gets the bugs out NAH....All i want is SPEED and an accurate software for my new video business. So you you Mac apple geeks get ready for more discussions on the pro. The present four bay pro looks pretty good for an old geek like me. Ah i can see it now adding a 10,000 rpm to the second bay, plenty of memory space too. Well we shall see ladies and Gentlemen. To Pro or not to Pro. Thank you
TRYON

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
The Mac Pro is impressive. But its overkill.. Only people that would have use for such a power house is Engineers using 3D modeling software like SolidWorks and other professionals need genetic data or similar numbers crunched. This is what is killing it..

Lets face it, the biggest mistake will be not offering lower priced gaming graphics cards. Fires are powerful, but they dont offer the functions needed for 3D game play.. The Xeon is server oriented computing. Point being I would love to see the current Mac Pro, but not necessarily as a workstation model. Perhaps a slightly lower high end model geared for gammers.
Build a model with a I7 Haswell, and two of the top of the line ATI Radeon cards and they got a powerful system that will appeal to a larger audience. Currently there is to much of a performance gap between a MacMini or iMac and the New MacPro. At least have the option for Gaming or Workstation video cards.. I would love the thing, I have the money for it. But I have no use for FirePro's!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The Mac Pro is impressive. But its overkill..

Mac Pro's are designed for top-end "Powerusers" (or for anyone with a fat wallet). They are/were never meant for mainstream users.

Apple also mentioned that the new Mac Pro was designed with a 10 year lifespan in mind. I highly doubt anyone 10 years from now will call this computer "over-kill"!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
NUTS. All i want is a dependable, fast, non crashing video editing, photo, music machine WHOA!
If Mac over kills us devoted customers with OVER PRICED new pro, well Steve will be rolling over.
You people are right. There will be add ons. The older pro (4 bay's) still looks good. Decisions, decisions.
We shall see soon...very soon.

Thanks to all my information people out there Mac land Tryon (Joseph)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Mac Pro's are designed for top-end "Powerusers" (or for anyone with a fat wallet). They are/were never meant for mainstream users.

Apple also mentioned that the new Mac Pro was designed with a 10 year lifespan in mind. I highly doubt anyone 10 years from now will call this computer "over-kill"!;)

- Nick

Well I agree to an extent. Overkill is the MacPro. But FirePro GPUs are expensive and really powerful. But not that well supported outside the 3D modeling and perhaps some high end video editing. They lack the features that gamers need. And although Mac in general are not normally considered a gaming machine even though some do use the current and older MPs as reliable gaming systems. I just see Apple loosing a huge chunk of the market by only offering the system with FirePro GPUs. However if they offered it with say top end Radeon GPUs. Then they still hit the high end workstation audience as well as the high end gaming audience. It just makes good sense.

I for one would love to be able to run one computer. I love my Mac but have a love hate relationship with my gaming PC. Its big, its bulky, it freaking runs windows.. Did I mention it needs windows.. Blah.. LOL.. And I have about 3k in that system.. Heck I have 1k in my Mac Mini plus the new SSD.. I would get the MacPro soon after it hits the market, but the FirePro GPUs are the breaker for me. :-(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But FirePro GPUs are expensive and really powerful. But not that well supported outside the 3D modeling and perhaps some high end video editing. They lack the features that gamers need.

I just see Apple loosing a huge chunk of the market by only offering the system with FirePro GPUs.

...I would get the MacPro soon after it hits the market, but the FirePro GPUs are the breaker for me. :-(

These concerns are different/more specific than what you made in your last post...and thus if compatibility is a big issue...then I can certainly see your concerns.

If firewire GPU's are so "incompatible"...why would Apple use them in the new Mac Pro...unless firewire GPU's are the future of graphics. And if it's not the future of graphics...it would sure seem to be an awfully big gamble on Apple's part.

Hopefully Apple knows a heck of a lot more than we do!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
These concerns are different/more specific than what you made in your last post...and thus if compatibility is a big issue...then I can certainly see your concerns.

If firewire GPU's are so "incompatible"...why would Apple use them in the new Mac Pro...unless firewire GPU's are the future of graphics. And if it's not the future of graphics...it would sure seem to be an awfully big gamble on Apple's part.

Hopefully Apple knows a heck of a lot more than we do!;)

- Nick

Hey Nick,
Nah not "firewire" GPU's... ATI FirePro is a Workstation based GPU. Dont get me wrong they are great, very powerful. But not feature rich as a lower cost gaming GPU such as the Radeon series. nVidia has two separate GPUs as well. Their workstation card is the Quadro and gaming GPU is the Geforce series.. Now not sure if you have ever worked with many Workstation cards or software that uses them. But the software must be written for them. For example Solidworks 3D modeling software is wrote for ATI FirePro GPUs. Think they have a patch for Quadros as well. But the point is that it works very very well on a FirePro, but even if you buy the lastest and fastest Radeon, it will just not perform very good at all on the Radeon. Why, simply it was wrote for Workstation GPUs. Now lets take Crysis or even World of Warcraft. Put them on a 4 year old Radeon or Geforce and it will run reasonably as one would expect. But play that game on a FirePro or Quadro workstation GPU and it will just not run hardly at all. You would be begging for a onboard intel HD4000 GPU because the game has been written for consumer grade gaming cards.

Point is FirePro workstation GPUs are wonderful, powerful even. But they are business oriented, not home user oriented. So unless your thing is setting at home watch Seti-at-home numbers crunch using your GPUs, your not going to be as happy as you would from not being able to play a game or two. But if games are not your thing, they more then likely you will be just tickled to death with the FirePros.

Hope I havent confused anyone here, perhaps I wasnot clear before. That happens when I am half a sleep posting. Anyhow thats my fault.. Sorry for that.

Now if Apple wants to carry on with only FirePro as their GPU of choice, then o well. My little complaint over here is meaning less anyway. Its more of a sad eye..

I just really feel there is a huge gap from say a i7 Mac Mini to the new Mac Pro. I would really love to see the Mac Mini get high end gaming GPU. It has the physical room inside if one gives the 2nd HDD slot. Now heat would still be a concern more then likely.. But if Apple could get with Lucent Logic and make even an intergrated GPU work with the intel HD4000 like they can do on my gaming PC. Then they would easily close the performance GAP between the two systems.

Now I know the iMac has a independent GPU, but I am not fond of all-in-ones or paying for their overpriced cinema displays. They are nice, but not my thing. Unless they became full Retina displays, then pehaps if there was not a price increase.. But now I am rambling.. :p

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
I'd tend to agree with your assessment.

What I'm still not sure about, how many of the hard core gamers that actually spend the $2-$3k it takes to build a top of the line gaming system every 12-24 months have made the shift to using OS X as their primary OS.

Plus the fairly large bunch of overclockers and tweakers that also fit into that category (and require access to the system board firmware to do their magic) are going to consider any off the shelf system, much less a Mac.

I'm with you in that I'd like to see a Mac Pro or even an iMac with the top of the line i7 and the GTX 780 in it instead of the 780m that benchmarks at about half that of the desktop version. The iMac while an all in one, it's a desktop machine, figure out a way to put a blasted desktop GPU coupled with that 27" screen. I think they'd have a machine that at least a decent portion of those who've moved to OS X as their primary OS would be slobbering over themselves to get.

edit:
Of course, then Apple would have to deal with that group unfamiliar with high end GPUs that would be complaining it sounded like an airplane taking off every time they booted up their favorite game.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Bobtomay.

Yea I guess my point is..

MacMini = Laptop performance..
iMac = Laptop performance..
MacPro = High end Workstation / Server performance..

Were the desktop performers which is a huge chunk of the market.. dual video cards or not..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Now not sure if you have ever worked with many Workstation cards or software that uses them. But the software must be written for them.

I do not know how much you know about Apple history...but Apple has done this at least 2-3 times in the past (maybe more):

- When Apple went from CISC to RISC cpu's with the PowerPC computers back in the mid-late 1990's.
- When Apple went from the "Classic OS" (OS 1.0 to 9.2) to OS X back around 2001.
- When Apple went from Motorola cpu's to Intel cpu's in 2006.

In all of these cases this was not an abrupt over-night change...but a multi-year transition...where emulation of the older OS remained for a period of time.

Now if Apple wants to carry on with only FirePro as their GPU of choice, then o well. My little complaint over here is meaning less anyway. Its more of a sad eye.

We certainly have to wait & see what happens once the new Mac Pro is released...to see how things play out.

Remember again...Apple says that they have designed the new Mac Pro to last for 10 years (10 years of usefulness). So maybe what seems like "over the top" high-end & incompatible in some ways now...may be commonplace in the years to come.

Apple is well known as a risk-taker or pushing the envelope...introducing technologies that other computer companies wouldn't even dream of including in a consumer-ready computer. But if Apple is successful...then all other computer companies will follow in a heartbeat!!!

Sometimes Apple is successful...and sometimes not. We shall see.

- Nick

Reaction score
The new design is innovative in itself and with the speed that it is offering I am sure it will sell in large numbers. Apple has ones again increased the benchmark for the competitors.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.