• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

transferring videos from iphone 5 to imovie HD

Reaction score
Iv taken movies on my iphone the correct way up. When i view them in quicktime they are also the correct way up. when i transfer them into imovie HD they are now 90deg anticlockwise. Is there any reason behind this? and if so how do i sort it out?

Thanks in advance, Vinnie

C

chas_m

iMovie HD is ancient and cannot handle vertical movies. It's looking for standard horizontal formats (4:3, 16:9, that sort of thing).

Use a different video editor program or a newer iMovie.

OP
V
Reaction score
a ha, that makes sense! thanks for the reply.

as you can probably figure, my machine is pretty ancient too - ibook g4 running 10.4.11, so the option of a newer version of imovies is not going to work (i think)

is there any other software that i could download and use? i dont really use my laptop much, mainly to store music and photos as i use my iphone for most other things, so thats the reason why its almost a relic lol

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Get iMovie for the iPhone.

OP
V
Reaction score
the issue with that is - i can guess is this.

As my iphone is a 5 (modern) and laptop is an ibook (literally an O.A.P) they are not compatible. So the only reason i managed to get my movies and pics across from A - B in the first place was via dropbox (as they wont sync). If i used imovei to edit and make a movie on my iphone, i guess i wont be able to transfer that across in any way to then burn it onto a dvd on my machine

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
the issue with that is - i can guess is this.

As my iphone is a 5 (modern) and laptop is an ibook (literally an O.A.P) they are not compatible. So the only reason i managed to get my movies and pics across from A - B in the first place was via dropbox (as they wont sync). If i used imovei to edit and make a movie on my iphone, i guess i wont be able to transfer that across in any way to then burn it onto a dvd on my machine

Still use Dropbox... then once on the laptop, burn it to DVD.

However, the most important thing to take from all of this is DONT SHOOT VERTICALLY!

OP
V
Reaction score
Vertical videos? Only one solution I'm afraid:
Vertical Video Syndrome - A PSA - YouTube

hahahaha that cracked me up. point taken. i always presumed that was the way to record movies, reason being is when you do it the 'correct' way when you watch it it always goes small on the phone - but logically i now can see that when its now on a screen it will be correct. point taken though and lesson learnt. cheers for your answers guys

OP
V
Reaction score
will dropbox actually transfer it in a complete movie file which can then be opened and read?

C

chas_m

The real solution here is to get your hands on a Mac made during this century, preferably this decade, even if only temporarily. Your long-term solution to this problem is also "get a newer Mac." Anything from 2009 and up should be great.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
will dropbox actually transfer it in a complete movie file which can then be opened and read?
Yes. When you email a link to the file in Dropbox, the recipient usually gets the option to either play it and/or download it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.