• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I still regularly use my 10 year old MacBook Pro and it's running 10.6.

Agree with Chscag.

Also 10.6.8 is still not that old and while not really supported still new enough so you won't see any major problems with every day usage. Try going back to even 10.5 and you will start to see some sites that do not work right and no way to update to a browser that will work 100%. Go to 10.4 Tiger and the problem is many fold worse!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Wasn't trying to rabble rouse. I still have a Sony VAIO Pentium 3 Win XP system that runs well enough to check email and surf the web... poorly. Like I said, if this thing runs such that in a decade people aren't scavenging eBay for elusive discontinued proprietary parts, and you can still update the OS to support HTML9 Responsive Boilerstrap (or whatever is hot in 2023) then I'm all for it. I just haven't really seen anything that makes me think this particular system is somehow different. I'd love to be proven wrong though. I'd happily go so far as to even finance $5k @ today's nil% interest rates for something that would not need replacement again until the early-2020's. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Your math is a bit off. The MacBook Pro first appeared in 2006, (actually Feb 2006) that would make it at the most 7 years and 5 months old.

I'm going to have to pull my purchase receipt, because that really doesn't jive with the events in my life that I remember around the time I purchased my laptop. I'm not saying you're wrong (mostly because I assume you did a google search to find the release date), I'm just saying my memory of events lead me to believe it truly was older than that. Memories are funny things.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
Agree with Chscag.

Also 10.6.8 is still not that old and while not really supported still new enough so you won't see any major problems with every day usage. Try going back to even 10.5 and you will start to see some sites that do not work right and no way to update to a browser that will work 100%. Go to 10.4 Tiger and the problem is many fold worse!

Yes, but the architecture those OS's were designed for (Power PC) is a little different than the Intel chips currently in use. No saying such a change couldn't occur again, but Apple is definitely looking pretty content with their more mainstream processors.

C

chas_m

Agree with Chscag.

Also 10.6.8 is still not that old and while not really supported

I have to take issue with this statement: as far as I can tell, 10.6.8 is as fully-supported as Lion and Mountain Lion except for point updates (which Lion doesn't get either).

All the latest Apple software works with Snow; by virtual of being all-Intel, it receives the latest Java, Flash, QuickTime, iTunes, security, printer/camera and server updates; it even runs the Mac App Store (and thus almost everything on there is Snow-compatible). About the only thing I think that is really big that Snow Leopard has been left behind on is iCloud, though I'm happy to be corrected on this.

This is the real reason most people think Snow Leopard is so great: it's well-supported, familiar and hasn't been obsoleted as badly as, say, Leopard.

If you have a pre-2009 machine, particularly one with the early Intel graphics chipsets or a hard limit on RAM (like my beloved BlackBook for example), I would be the first to say that Snow Leopard is the best OS for it, and you should stay there on that hardware.

Post-2009, however, I'd have to say that Mountain Lion is the best, and would encourage people to move up to it. Lion had some teething troubles with versions, save as and other changes that were not wholly successful, but that's why they keep polishing this stuff. For security reasons alone, I'd say that if your machine can run ML well you need to be running it.

still new enough so you won't see any major problems with every day usage. Try going back to even 10.5 and you will start to see some sites that do not work right and no way to update to a browser that will work 100%. Go to 10.4 Tiger and the problem is many fold worse![/QUOTE]

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.