• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

OSX 10.9 Mavericks . . . and ranting about the new Mac Pro because Van said so!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (i5)
i got my first mac yesterday so if i waited for while i would be able to get the mavericks for free. :D :D
but really i interested a lot when i heard that there will be ibook,but i wanna magazines !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
What is the definition of "Maverick" that the rest of the English speaking world uses or most commonly thinks of? I'm from the U.S....and these are the two definitions I think of:

1. an unbranded range animal or a motherless calf
2. an independent individual who does not go along with a group or party

- Nick

Over on the right hand side (or should that be 'right side'? :) ) of the Atlantic, Maverick usually has quite negative connotations and implies someone who cannot be trusted.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
i got my first mac yesterday so if i waited for while i would be able to get the mavericks for free. :D :D
but really i interested a lot when i heard that there will be ibook,but i wanna magazines !!!

Apple has a 14-day return policy. If getting OS 10.9 for free is that important (which will probably cost less than $20 when it is released)...you could return your new Apple computer...and wait approx. 3 months to buy another computer in the Fall when Maverick is officially released.

You have to weigh the benefits vs the hassles just to get a $20 OS upgrade for free!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Usually developer copies do iot have the system specs included. Back when Mountain Lion came out the first developers version would install on non Core 2 Duo machines. The Gold or retail version killed off installing on oilder machines.

Whisper down here was OS X.9 Cougar but I guess Hollywood has tarnished that name lol.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Over on the right hand side (or should that be 'right side'? :) ) of the Atlantic, Maverick usually has quite negative connotations and implies someone who cannot be trusted.

Thanks for the info!:) But if the English speaking world checks just about any English dictionary they will see the definitions that I mentioned.

I'll give you a reverse example of how language/terminology/slang in the UK calls a common everyday item something that much of the rest of the world can also be seen a derogatory.

What are cigarettes called in the UK? That term is considered derogatory to certain segments of the English speaking population throughout the world.

- Nick

Reaction score
Whatever happened to the Ocelot? (Perhaps OS X Ocelot doesn't roll of the tongue smoothly - then again neither does "Mavericks", which is a place in northern California).

I figured they could've gone the way of native plants of California...or native species of California...

What's next, OS XI "Malibu"?

:p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
So what next - OS X Iceman? :D

Nice to see iBooks on the Mac at last. About time too.

Probably won't work on my iMac anyway.

Not keen on some of the iOS7 - wonder what hardware that will require. Probably work on my iPad Mini at least :\

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I wonder how many people will come home after a night of hard drinking and, thinking it is a swanky trash bin, barf into the fan of their roommate's new Mac Pro...

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Hahahaha at XJ! I have seen Tall Ash Trays in some doctors offices with a hole at the top that looked just like that new MP. Sorry, I can't get the image out of my mind!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think this incarnation of the Mac Pro has probably lost a bit of the tinker with it factor. It won't be as easy to do as some models have been. That bothers me but realistically in all the years I've owned G5 and Mac Pros cases I've only installed one card, extra memory, and an internal hard drives. This form factor might be a bigger issue for pros,

@Dennis Thanks for that link it got me up to speed on the info that I missed. I wonder how effective the cooling will be? This idea seems strangely reminiscent of the Cube

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Whatever happened to the Ocelot? (Perhaps OS X Ocelot doesn't roll of the tongue smoothly - then again neither does "Mavericks", which is a place in northern California).

What the heck...why didn't they name the new OS 10.9 "Yreka"??

Yreka is also in Northern, California...and we know who is infamously from there!!!;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...but realistically in all the years I've owned G5 and Mac Pros cases I've only installed one card, extra memory, and an internal hard drives. This form factor might be a bigger issue for pros,

Same experience here. I'm thinking many Mac Pro users (up to this point mainly) purchased Mac Pro's for three reasons:

- lots of cpu cores
- ability to run multiple monitors
- lots of ram

Sounds like the new Mac Pro address's all of these.

Of course I'm also sure there are Mac Pro users who have maxed things out...and liked having four separate HD bay's.

- Nick

OP
dtravis7

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
From all the pics I have seen it looks like the Retina MBP in the sense of RAM is part of the board and you are stuck with whatever you purchase. Time will tell for sure.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Sad they couldn't come up with one last "big cat" name. Without the big cat name, it just isn't quite the same...
Ah, well, you see... They wanted people to know this was no mere cat...
</obscure Ubuntu referencing joke> :Smirk:

This form factor might be a bigger issue for pros...I wonder how effective the cooling will be? This idea seems strangely reminiscent of the Cube
Glad I'm not the only one who saw the new Pro & thought Apple had resurrected the concept of the "G4 Cube" as the "Xeon Tube" :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Wow, what a great name Apple... *cough*

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
early 2007 White Macbook. 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2 Gb ram, 120 Gb HDD. OSX 10.6.8 SL
Os x Ocelot, Os x Bengal, Os x Lynx, Os x Bear cat, Os x Bobcat, shall i go on

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.

I figured they could've gone the way of native plants of California...or native species of California...

What's next, OS XI "Malibu"?

:p

It's not a place, so much as a surf break.. actually.. the largest rideable (by paddling in, the last time I heard) waves ta boot ;)

Reaction score
No mention of system requirements Sly, and I couldn't expect those to come out till later when it's ready for release..

On the name, they lost a golden opportunity by not embracing the meme of choice by not going with OS X 10.9 Grumpy Cat..:)

THAT would've been awesome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.