iCloud Storage is full? 4.8GB unused...

Reaction score
[RESOLVED] iCloud Storage is full? 4.8GB unused...

[PROBLEM RESOLVED ON ITS OWN]

Hi there,

I just received an email from iCloud telling me that I have exceeded my iCloud storage, including "an additional amount provided to allow you to continue receiving email".

It tells me to free up storage in my account by using settings on my iOS device.

I hopped over to my iPad, where I found the following:

Total Storage: 5.0 GB
Available: 4.8 GB

I tapped Manage Storage and found this:

Backups - 165.5 MB
** iPhone 93.2 MB
** iPad 72.3 MB

Documents and Data - 1.9 MB
Numbers 1.4 MB
Pages 522.4 KB
TextEdit 22.9 KB

Mail
Mail 24.3 MB

My photostream is empty because I only use it to make sure I have a copy to import to my Mac, but I remove everything from my photo stream daily.

So as far as I can see, I'm using at most 200 MB of the 5 GB allowance. Anyone have any idea why I've received this email? Is there a separate limit on mail that I'm not aware of?

I just want to see what people's thoughts are before I even consider contacting Apple about this.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Those seem like very low numbers for the device backups? Do you perhaps have multi backups from previous devices?

This article gives details details on manage the space and how it's used. Might help you find something you haven't accounted for yet

OP
R
Reaction score
I went through that article and nothing jumped out. I have accounted for everything. Using my MacBook Pro I went to icloud.com and checked the deleted items mailbox, which was empty...

I agree that the backup sizes are very small. I don't really have much on the devices though as I prefer to keep most things on HDD and backed up to Dropbox.

I guess that I will remove the backups of the devices and try backing them up again to see if it affects anything, but mail seems to work without problem...

I'm more perturbed about receiving this email really, when I don't keep much in iCloud.

I guess I can mark this topic as solved, but it would be nice to have known the cause.
Thanks for the help anyway!

rothwell

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I guess all you can do is contact them, giving them the details you've given us.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.