If you haven't switched to Mac yet - JUST DO IT!!!

Reaction score
When you make the switch, you'll be glad you did, and you'll be asking yourself, "Why the **** didn't I do this a lot sooner!???"

I made the switch last month. I've found that EVERYTHING is easier and faster on a Mac than on a Win-doze PC. Here is a list of things that I've so far found to be better on a Mac:

1) Multi-touch gestures on the trackpad. This is very nice, and natural, once you get the hang of it. No longer am I stuck with the traditional limitations of the PC mouse and it's two buttons.

2) Mac App Store. Thousands of programs/apps are available, many are free. Sure, you can find a lot of programs on the internet for the PC, but the Mac App Store puts a lot of them in just one, convenient place.

3) Time Machine. Backups to an external HDD are a breeze with Time Machine. No clumsy (and dubious) backup software to worry about installing correctly, no fuss. Multiple backups can be stored on a single HDD, with the earliest backups auto-deleted when the HDD becomes full.
I had to restore the entire HD from a Time Machine backup, due to a mishap (which was my fault - I tried to do it without first reading the instructions) while attempting to install VirtualBox. The restoration took just minutes, with no problems at all - and all of my important stuff was still there!

4) AirPort. You can plug a USB printer into the AirPort Express (or Extreme), and it just works - no fuss. Of course, you can also use it with your Windows PC, but it's a pain in the butt to install and set up - I had to install Bonjour printer software on the PC, configure it, and then it worked. It was much easier on the Mac!

5) You can still run Windows on a Mac if necessary. You can install a Windows (or other) OS via Boot Camp, onto your Mac. I don't think it's possible to install OS-X on a PC, though (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). You can also use software like VM-Ware Fusion 5 or Parallels Desktop 8 to create a virtual machine to run another OS alongside OS-X.

I will be installing Win XP on my Mac soon, likely via Boot Camp, because I have some older games and some music software (for hardware synthesizer programming and MIDI control) that will only run on Win XP.

6) Near-impossibility of getting a nasty virus. The general consensus here on the Mac Forums is that anti-virus software isn't needed on a Mac. I would not argue with the Mac gurus on this point, but I'm the sort of guy who wants to be sure, having had viral nightmares in the past on my Windows PCs. There are anti-virus/internet security programs available for the Mac, should you be paranoid like me. For peace of mind, I installed one on my new MacBook Pro. I recommend ESET Cyber Security Pro - it doesn't tax the system like others I've used on PCs before (like Norton and McAfee), and I've noticed no system slowdowns or "stutters" since I've installed it.

7) Bluetooth connecting nightmares don't exist on a Mac. - at least I haven't had any problems whatsoever with connecting Bluetooth devices to my Mac. I use an Orochi Razor bluetooth mouse (for when I'm doing mouse-intensive tasks, such as photo editing or gaming), and it connects every time, quickly, when I turn it on. It was **** getting it to connect to my Windows PC. Of course, just as a test, I connected my Apple bluetooth wireless keyboard, also with no problems at all.

8) External peripherals just work - with no fuss. I've used external hard drives, an external Blu-Ray player, and multiple USB thumb drives and SD cards, all with no problems. No drivers are necessary. It's wonderful!

9) Microsoft Office is available for the Mac. If what's holding you back is Microsoft Office, not to worry - it's available for Mac! It's the first piece of Mac software I bought, since I use it at work extensively. Files created in the Mac version are usable on the PC version, and vice versa.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13 in Retina, 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3. iphone 5, 16 GB.
I totally agree with you! I also got my Macbook Pro fairly recently in March and the more I use it the more I wonder how I have been living without it. My friend has a PC and when we are working on a project together and I have to use her laptop it is just so time consuming. We use mine now because it is very simple and fast. Starting it up is super fast and it runs so quiet :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Re: MS Office

Well, yeah, but it's a little buggy on the Mac. My experience is with Office for Mac 2004 using Leopard (10.5.8).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Office 2011 for Mac is more stable than the Windows version. I use both every day.

OP
jt1968
Reaction score
Office 2011 for Mac is more stable than the Windows version. I use both every day.

Same here! The Mac version is definitely better.

And I SWEAR I did not steal your avatar photo! I've been a fan of Tard the Grumpy Cat since his/her owner started the Facebook page for the cat. I found the photo by searching for "Tard the Grumpy Cat" in Google Images. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
Made the switch in 2011 and yesterday was officially 2 years on my MBP to the date. Needless to say i am addicted to my computer and will never go back to a windows.

Reaction score
Made the switch in 2011 and yesterday was officially 2 years on my MBP to the date. Needless to say i am addicted to my computer and will never go back to a windows.
Ditto to this and the OP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
For an older, and perhaps slightly more technical view of why Macs are so great, see http://www.campbell-tx.net. Visit the Linux to Mac Switchers Page. Now I know that this thread is about switching from Windows to Mac, but near the bottom of this lengthy treatise on switching to Macs, are two sections called "The Care and Feeding of Your New Mac" and "Twelve Things You Will Love About Your Mac". This page was penned in 2007 or so, when I first switched to Macs (got so disgusted at Windows that I moved to Linux, and then from Linux to Mac, hence the "Linux to Mac" part of the title), but a lot of it remains very relevant to this day.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.