Solid State hard drives's is it worth it

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro retina 13" 8gb, 120ssd, i5 cpu, imac 8gb, 2.7ghz i5,1tb, iphone 5s 16gb. ipad 2 32gb
ive been looking at getting an ssd for my mac but don't know if its worth spending the money mainly because i don't know if i will see a great differnt in speed. some advice please people :):)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
SSD's are mainly great for:

- faster computer boot times
- faster saving of files
- faster retrieving of files

As far as the cost/gigabyte of storage...well that is up to the individual user. 128-256gig SSD's are probably the best value at the moment...but that's still going to be much more expensive (cost/gigabyte) than traditional HD's.

If you absolutely NEED more than 256gig of storage...larger SSD's can get very expensive.

- Nick

p.s. Here's a You-Tube video of a bootup time comparison with a Mac-Mini (before & after SSD install). The person had a ram upgrade as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0KEcgtofMk

I think that I have heard of folks having MUCH faster boot times after an SSD install...more like only 15 seconds.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Chris yes you will see an improvement. Had SSD's in my Mac Pro and they were great with OWC giving best results. Purchased an iMac new June last and just too difficult to place an SSD in there myself so went with an iDowell iBox uninterrupted power supply so the iMac only sleeps and wakes instantly the next day ready to rumble.

Speed for using applications not so noticable unless you are heavily into graphics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I definitely say go for the SSD.
I installed a 256GB Vertex 4 SSD in my older '07 MBP (6GB RAM/OS 10.6.8) and made it a whole new Mac again! Bootups, application performance and shutdowns were at least 5-8x faster than with the 5400RPM/500GB platter HD. The one thing I really don't miss is getting the irritating spinning pinwheels. Every music app I use opens instantly and has no glitches, stutter or hesitation (latency) which is what I don't need when making music or DJing live.
I did have to sacrifice HD space for speed but it was well worth it!

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook pro retina 13" 8gb, 120ssd, i5 cpu, imac 8gb, 2.7ghz i5,1tb, iphone 5s 16gb. ipad 2 32gb
Thanks for the reply Guys im doing some research one ssd's what is the best make im not looking for a massive storage one a 50gb something like that would be ideal. with an ssd can i still put my laptop in stand by mode?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth go with at least a 128GB model. Not that much dearer and operating systems just get bigger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP Retina, 2.3 GHz i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce GT 650M
Thanks for the reply Guys im doing some research one ssd's what is the best make im not looking for a massive storage one a 50gb something like that would be ideal. with an ssd can i still put my laptop in stand by mode?

Yes you can still put your laptop in stand by mode. I would also advise to go for a 128 GB storage at least.

dbm

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2011 i5 2.3/8GB, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running El Capitan
I specified the 256GB SSD as the only hardware upgrade to my MBP and it is fantastic. Boots up in 15 seconds, boots down in 1 second most of the time (occasionally it will take 10 seconds for no apparent reason).

The reason I spec'ed it wasn't for speed but for resilience - no need to worry about crashing a disk by moving the laptop whilst the drive in spinning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
I had a 120gb intel 320 series in my MacBook pro after a year of using a standard hard drive. I loved my ssd and just stored large files on my external drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.