iMac G3 doesn't boot

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hackintosh: i5 2500k, 8GB RAM, 1TB HDD, EVGA GTX 660 2GB
Hi all,

So I just picked up an iMac G3 at an estate sale for $30. The sellers had no idea if the machine worked, but it was a pretty low price, so I went on and bought it.

Once home, I discovered its a 1999 slot loading blueberry iMac. 6GB HDD. So, I plugged it in. It was very odd when I plugged the iMac in. The machine began making crackling noises out of the right speaker, and when the power button was pushed the display made a noise that sounded like it turned off. The crackling stopped after the power button is pushed.

Can anyone help? I'd be willing to pay for a new part or something.

Thanks,
-zoom01

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, now after changing outlets the speaker doesn't crackle. I plug it in, and hear a small "tick" sound. Still don't power on.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So I just picked up an iMac G3 at an estate sale for $30.

I hate to say it...but $30 for a 1999 iMac G3 is not really a very good price...ESPECIALLY if the unit is not guaranteed to work!

These days I wouldn't pay more than $20-$25 for ANY iMac G3 (they were made from 1998 thru 2002). And the earlier the model is...the less useful features it has.

But:

- if I really wanted it
- if it was in great shape
- if it came with the original box
- if it was an unusual model (like the "flower power" model)
- and if it was GUARANTEED to work

Then I might pay $30 for it!:)

Well, now after changing outlets the speaker doesn't crackle. I plug it in, and hear a small "tick" sound. Still don't power on.

That ticking sound is probably either a bad power supply or a bad component in the display circuitry. Either problem is basically a "deal killer" for this computer. Any replacement part would cost as much or more than you pad for the whole computer.

You would be better off just purchasing a completely different iMac G3 (fully operational)...than trying to purchase replacement parts and fixing this unit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But old computers are very prone to being worn out (usually the power supply). And older computers (like older iMac G3's with the built-in display) are even worse...since the older CRT display technology has components in it that are also prone to wearing out...just like the power supply.

- Nick

p.s. A non-working iMac G3 is probably only worth $5-$10 bucks (for parts)...if you can find someone to buy it. You would be better off disassembling it...and selling the individual parts on e-Bay. The iMac G3's CRT monitor is just way too heavy to make shipping feasible (too heavy/too costly).

OP
zoom01
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate to say it...but $30 for a 1999 iMac G3 is not really a very good price...ESPECIALLY if the unit is not guaranteed to work!

These days I wouldn't pay more than $20-$25 for ANY iMac G3 (they were made from 1998 thru 2002). And the earlier the model is...the less useful features it has.

But:

- if I really wanted it
- if it was in great shape
- if it came with the original box
- if it was an unusual model (like the "flower power" model)
- and if it was GUARANTEED to work

Then I might pay $30 for it!:)

That ticking sound is probably either a bad power supply or a bad component in the display circuitry. Either problem is basically a "deal killer" for this computer. Any replacement part would cost as much or more than you pad for the whole computer.

You would be better off just purchasing a completely different iMac G3 (fully operational)...than trying to purchase replacement parts and fixing this unit.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. But old computers are very prone to being worn out (usually the power supply). And older computers (like older iMac G3's with the built-in display) are even worse...since the older CRT display technology has components in it that are also prone to wearing out...just like the power supply.

- Nick

p.s. A non-working iMac G3 is probably only worth $5-$10 bucks (for parts)...if you can find someone to buy it. You would be better off disassembling it...and selling the individual parts on e-Bay. The iMac G3's CRT monitor is just way too heavy to make shipping feasible (too heavy/too costly).

Thanks man. You are always a big help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.