Macbook battery does not charge

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a late 2006 Macbook 2,1 (white) Intel Duo 2Ghz. The Battery icon displays Not Charging. iStat, Coconut and the power information under "about this MAC" all indicate the battery is installed but not charging. I have done the following :

Replaced the Battery
Replaced the Magsafe board DC-In
SMC reset
PRAM reset --- this does not work, I do not get the second Apple Boot tone and the screen goes blank, I then have to unplug it to shut it down.

I can only use the Macbook when plugged in. Also the Magsafe LED is dark. I replaced it about 3 months ago.

Any suggestions? I want to revive this old Macbook it has been good to me :)

Thanks

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What you didn't tell us is if this battery is the original battery...and if it is...how many charge/discharge cycles are on it.

If this is the original battery...then it's 6-7 years old...and more than likely...it's just worn out and you need a new battery.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Nick,

I replaced the battery with a new one. That is what I meant in my first line after "I have done the following"

Thanks
Dan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Nick,

I replaced the battery with a new one. That is what I meant in my first line after "I have done the following"

Thanks
Dan

Sorry...I misunderstood & missed that line in the post. I thought that you meant that you replaced the Mag-Safe charger. Am I reading things correctly that you replaced the Mag-Safe charger 3 months ago?

It does seem that you've replaced just about everything that would effect the charging of the battery (new battery, new DC-in board, new Mag-Safe).

Just a thought. You do realize that you're sort of turning getting this MacBook working again into a "Money Pit"!;) Sometimes we need to know just when to quit. Putting this much $$$ into getting a 2006 MacBook working again may be too much. With the total cost of the:

- new battery
- new Mag-Safe board
- replacement DC-In board
- value of the MacBook if sold

...you could have purchased a newer used MacBook or MacBook Pro. For example...about a year ago I purchased a used 2008 white MacBook for $150 bucks. And just 5 days ago I purchased an Early 2011 13" MacBook Pro for $350.

Anyway...it does seem that you've done everything correctly trying to get your MacBook charging again (including the SMC reset). The only other things I can think of are:

1. Are you 100% sure all the replacement items you used were/are working properly?
2. Are you absolutely positive no disassembly/assembly mistakes were made? Always possible...happens to all of us occasionally.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.