Macbook Pro Airport Screws.

Reaction score
Hi all, get an interesting issue here.

Was installing an SSD into the Optical Bay on my 13" MPB, Mid 2012, i5 Model, got it all working perfectly and began reassembly only to have lost two important screws.

I was wondering if anyone knew the sizes of the screws that connect the Airport Card to the case (The bit where all the antennas connect), as currently the Airport card is sitting loose in the MPB, and as one of the screws for the base screw into the bracket, the case isn't sitting flush anymore.

Anyone have any idea? really rather annoyed at myself. :Angry:

Cheers all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try the ifixit web site. I'm not sure if they have the take apart instructions up yet for the 2012 MacBook Pros, but if they do, you may be able to find the screw sizes there.

iFixit: The free repair manual

OP
J
Reaction score
Try the ifixit web site. I'm not sure if they have the take apart instructions up yet for the 2012 MacBook Pros, but if they do, you may be able to find the screw sizes there.

iFixit: The free repair manual

Had a quick look, they had an SSD Optical guide, had a look and it says the screws are 10.3 mm Phillips screws, Anyone know any suppliers/Websites I can purchase them from? eBay is showing nothing, and nor is google, that I can see.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Got an Apple Store nearby your home? If you do, go on in and ask in a nice way if they have the screws. Tell them you would be willing to pay..... but I bet they'll give them to you for free if they have them.

OP
J
Reaction score
Got an Apple Store nearby your home? If you do, go on in and ask in a nice way if they have the screws. Tell them you would be willing to pay..... but I bet they'll give them to you for free if they have them.

Just over an hours drive unfortunately, Its 3 screws I need, so, as a last resort I could drive over, its a shame really, so mad at myself for losing them in the first place!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If the Apple store is that far away, be sure to call first before driving that distance. Also here are several sites that may have the screws:

Mac Repair - Mac Parts and Service for Apple Macbook, iPhone, iPad

appleparts.com

Good luck and don't feel bad about losing the screws. I worked in computer repair for years both for IBM and the US Govt. Can't tell you how many times I misplaced screws and some large parts. Goes with the profession. :p

OP
J
Reaction score
Managed to find a "donor" screw from just above the fan to temporarily hold down the Airport Card so the base sits properly again now, Will be heading into an Apple store tomorrow, can't say I am looking forward to it with WWDC today :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.