External HD Issues

Reaction score
Hi guys, wonder if someone can help...

I have recently bought a new external HD, a Toshiba Stor.E Canvio 3TB to be precise. It say on the box that it is compatible with Mac OSX Tiger through Lion, although needs reformatting for Mac useage. I have plugged the HD in, gone through Disk Utility > Erase in Mac OSX Extended (Journaled). I have then tried to partition it into 3 equal partitions, and get the following message:

"Partition failed with the error:

Invalid argument"

I have tried erasing the disk again, and get the same "Invalid arguement" error. I have also tried clicking on the Verify button, but this appears to do nothing, and throws up no messages at all.

I am somewhat at a loss as to what to do next, so any help/advice would be very useful. Have I done something wrong, or have I been unlucky and got a faulty HD?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

OP
P
Reaction score
I should probably mention that I am a little behind the times, and am running OSX 10.5.8. Don't know if this would affect anything or not.

Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without screen shots of exactly what you're doing, it's difficult to predict why the invalid argument error is showing up. I don't believe there is a limit to Leopard (10.5.8) being able to do the partitioning if it can see the entire drive as 3 TB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.