What is this keystroke logger?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I went on a trip and my roommates used my desktop while I was gone. Now I have this weird window that tracks and shows my keystrokes and what my cursor is currently over. Attached is a picture of my desktop with the window at the bottom right displaying my current cursor information. Anyone know what this is and how I can get rid of it???

Sorry if this is in the wrong place or a duplicate thread... I tried searching the internet but couldn't find anything so I came here.

Screen Shot 2013-06-07 at 9.24.36 AM (1).png

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
System Preferences > Accessibility > VoiceOver > disable it. Nice and simple.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think this is an actual key logger. Most of those do what they do without you noticing they are present. It looks like they turned on an accessibility feature in Voiceover. Try pressing the Command and F5 keys simultaneously. See if that makes the window go away.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Glad you got that sorted out. Have you considered setting up one or more user accounts so your roommates can use the Mac when needed and not muck things up for you. They can change settings and have it only affect their user account unless their account has administrator privileges.

Here's a quick overview of the various kinds of user accounts. Take a look at the standard and guest accounts. That might help in this situation. Keep the following in mind:

1. There must be at least one Administrator account on the Mac.
2. Some users keep a second administrator account on the Mac for troubleshooting purposes. The only people who should have Administrator access are those you trust and who understand the damage that can be done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.