Preparation for CCC and new Time Machine HDD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Recently I performed a format and clean install of Mac OS 10.6.8 and all my apps. I have been using the computer extensively to make sure that everything is running well and working properly. It is! So....I have purchased a 3T WD Firewire ext hdd and I am almost ready to start up TM again and also I am installing Carbon Copy Cloner on one of the partitions. I would like to make the first back up for both apps as "neat" as possible. I am going to run Onyx and let it do its thing. I would like to empty all the little logs, caches in places like Flash and iTunes for example. I know iTunes keeps a log of previewed movies and other things while Flash has the things it stores that have to be manullly emptied.

Will you folks please help me to get all these type caches and logs cleared? Please share with me any and all places you know where things like this are stored that people don't normally think of so I can clear/empty these so my backups will be just the OS and files and folders and apps without any garbage. I know most of these take up very little room, but I just want a nice clean system. Thank you in advance . . . Brent "Dogbreath" Wilson

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The best way to clear your logs and stay out of trouble is to let OnyX do it. I do that once in awhile and OnyX will positively clear the logs. As for using CCC and Time Machine, I highly recommend you keep their backup(s) on separate external hard drives. Keeping both on one partitioned drive, put all your backup(s) in one basket. Lose the basket, you've lost everything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
The best way to clear your logs and stay out of trouble is to let OnyX do it. I do that once in awhile and OnyX will positively clear the logs. As for using CCC and Time Machine, I highly recommend you keep their backup(s) on separate external hard drives. Keeping both on one partitioned drive, put all your backup(s) in one basket. Lose the basket, you've lost everything.

+1
I keep my TM backup permanently connected to my iMac and my weekly (bootable) Super Duper copy in our safe

+1 for Onyx as well

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Thank you for your replies...keeping TM and CC on separate drives is something I need to seriously consider. Before the new TM and CCC drive goes into use, I wanted to clear the caches and logs that Onyx doesn't touch.
For instance:
Flash Player...Preferences>Advanced...I have to delete Browsing Data and Settings
Flash Player...Preferences>Storage...I have to clear Local Storage Settings
iTunes>Presences>Advance>Reset iTunes Store Cache
Applications>Utilities>Java Preferences>Network>Delete Files...to clear Java Cache Files
I know there are others...and there are logs, too.

I feel there are other caches and logs Onyx doesn't clear. I am just looking to have a clean first TM back-up and a "pure" CCC clone of my hdd. I realize theses caches and logs use little hdd space, but they do slow down the system and they do take up some space. Am I being too anal about this? I do know clearing the Flash Player before the recent wipe and fresh install of stuff greatly improved my YouTube experience.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Am I being too anal about this? I do know clearing the Flash Player before the recent wipe and fresh install of stuff greatly improved my YouTube experience.

Probably. ;) Clearing the Flash Player cache is fine as long as it shows improvement when using YouTube. However, there are certain caches that you may not necessarily want to clear. For example: Your boot cache. Clearing that will slow down boot up times. When you run OnyX you can actually scan through the various caches and select which ones you want it to clear. Of course that means running OnyX in manual mode and not automatic.

OP
Dogbreath
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, chscag...I know I get anal about certain things. My day job as a research chemist requires me to be a stickler to detail and OCD concerning accuracy and precision. Sometimes it carries over into every day life and at times I can make the simplest things so difficult. As for my Mac, I will just let go and let OnyX do its thing in Automation mode and find bigger battles to fight elsewhere. Thanks again.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.