Best Macbook Pro Cases?

Reaction score
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm brand new to the forum, so, sorry if it's not in the right place.
Anyways, I'm going to be getting a new Macbook Pro (13.3") Case in a week or two,
and I've decided I want to get a hard snap-on case.
Honestly, I cannot afford to spend $50 on a Speck or Incase one though.
I'm only looking to spend around $20-$25 between a snap-on case and a keyboard cover, which I know means I'll probably just have to get one off of Amazon, which I'm alright with. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to the best ones within my budget.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...I've decided I want to get a hard snap-on case.
I'm only looking to spend around $20-$25 between a snap-on case and a keyboard cover

As far as hard cases...there are really only about 3 companies that make them:

- Speck
- Incase
- iPearl

There may be some others...but Speck and Incase are the most well known...and iPearl is (I think) a new player. My wife has an iPearl on her MacBook Pro (and I'm going to be getting one soon too). It's a pretty good product.

As far as price. Yes...if you cannot afford $40-50...and you want a Speck or incase...then you're going to have to buy a used one via Amazon, e-Bay, or Craig's List...or get lucky and get a highly discounted new one from one of the manufacturers websites.

I just checked...and for some reason the iPearl hard shell case is a lot less expensive than I remember. For the 13" MacBook Pro (non-retina)...they only cost $11.99. So you may want to go with the iPearl hard case!:)

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you. I did see some iPearl's, and they did look nice.

There are several other brand new off-brand cases on Amazon though, such as eForCity, GMYLE, TopCase, Kuzy, etc. that I was referring to. But, I'm glad to know the iPearl is good, since that was one of my original considerations anyways.

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what color is your wife's iPearl? I'm just wondering if the colors on Amazon's website are pretty true to the color in real life (although, I know this depends on computer colors and brightness, etc., but, just generally speaking...)?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There are several other brand new off-brand cases on Amazon though, such as eForCity, GMYLE, TopCase, Kuzy, etc. that I was referring to.

I haven't heard of those...but if they exist...they exist!;)

I really like the iPearl my wife has on her 13" MacBook Pro. The bottom has many more holes/openings than Speck. Speck has a lot of thin slots...iPearl has a lot of larger round holes. I think that this is to (in a small way) help with cooling (in a minor way).

I think that the iPearl has more "open area" than the Speck case on the botom...thus slightly better radiant cooling & technically...maybe ever so slightly lighter.

The iPearl case also has two little flip down feet at the back of the case to possibily help when using the MBP on a flat surface. And of course you cannot beat the current price (I think)...$11.99 on Amazon!:)

Also, if you don't mind my asking, what color is your wife's iPearl? I'm just wondering if the colors on Amazon's website are pretty true to the color in real life (although, I know this depends on computer colors and brightness, etc., but, just generally speaking...)?

I think that the iPearl case she got was Royal Blue. It looks pretty good. But again...at $11.99 for the iPearl (compared to $40-$50 for a Speck case)..who can complain!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I've got the clear and red Speck plastic covers on both of my MBP's for almost 5 years now. It looks good and keeps away the bumps and scratches.

OP
C
Reaction score
I've got the clear and red Speck plastic covers on both of my MBP's for almost 5 years now. It looks good and keeps away the bumps and scratches.
First of all, sorry if this is in the wrong section. I'm brand new to the forum, so, sorry if it's not in the right place.
Anyways, I'm going to be getting a new Macbook Pro (13.3") Case in a week or two,
and I've decided I want to get a hard snap-on case.
I'm only looking to spend around $20-$25 between a snap-on case and a keyboard cover, which I know means I'll probably just have to get one off of Amazon, which I'm alright with. I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations as to the best ones within my budget.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
Thanks for the recap. :Grimmace:
I mentioned the Speck because it amazes me that people spend over $1000 for a Mac but then say they can't afford a $30-50 case to protect it.
It's like buying a Ferrari but saying you can't afford the insurance for it.
Enjoy the Mac...

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks for the recap. :Grimmace:
I mentioned the Speck because it amazes me that people spend over $1000 for a Mac but then say they can't afford a $30-50 case to protect it.
It's like buying a Ferrari but saying you can't afford the insurance for it.
Enjoy the Mac...
Certain majors at my college require Macs, mine being one of it.
So, despite a Mac being twice my budget, I don't really have a choice of whether to get it or not.
So, I'm already way over my budget for it, so I definitely cannot spend $50 on a case,
on top of spending $30 on a nice carrying case for it as well.
If I could afford a Speck, I would. But I can not afford an extra $50 case for it right now.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Certain majors at my college require Macs, mine being one of it.
So, despite a Mac being twice my budget, I don't really have a choice of whether to get it or not.
So, I'm already way over my budget for it, so I definitely cannot spend $50 on a case...

Purchasing a used computer is always a GREAT way to save money. I haven't purchased a new Macintosh computer is over (yes believe it or not) 16 years (almost as long as you've been alive)!;)

In fact (just 5 days ago)...I purchased an "Early 2011" 13" MacBook Pro (very very similar to yours)...for $350 bucks. And it works perfectly...and almost looks perfect! AND it still has Applecare remaining till September, 2014!:)

$350 is a lot better than $1199+!:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just get the $11.99 iPearl hard case I suggested earlier in this thread. I don't think that you're going to find a hard case for less (unless someone gives you one for free)!;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Just get the $11.99 iPearl hard case I suggested earlier in this thread. I don't think that you're going to find a hard case for less (unless someone gives you one for free)!;)

- Nick

Thanks! I've decided to either get an iPearl or Kuzy, both for around $15-$20. :)

OP
C
Reaction score

- Nick

Question: Has your wife ever had an issue with the case scratching up the computer?
I've been reading reviews of a lot of the snap-on cases and some people say they get dirt trapped beneath them which ends up scratching up the computer?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Question: Has your wife ever had an issue with the case scratching up the computer?
I've been reading reviews of a lot of the snap-on cases and some people say they get dirt trapped beneath them which ends up scratching up the computer?

My wife & I have had hard shell cases on our MacBooks/MacBook Pro's for years...and we've never had a problem with that. Some folks are really OCD about things like this.

BELIEVE ME...if the computer gets a little bit of scratching due to dirt under the hard case...this sort of scratching is going to be way way way less than any scratch or dent the computer might experience if you don't have a hard case on it!;)

Any scratching that might occur due to dirt under the hard case...would be far less severe than any scratching that may occur to the shell of the computer than would happen from simply putting the computer into & out of a book-bag.

You have to keep things in perspective. As mentioned above...any scratching due to the hard shell case will be far less severe (or invisible or not at all)...compared to what's going to happen to the computer with no hard shell case!

HTH,

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
My wife & I have had hard shell cases on our MacBooks/MacBook Pro's for years...and we've never had a problem with that. Some folks are really OCD about things like this.

BELIEVE ME...if the computer gets a little bit of scratching due to dirt under the hard case...this sort of scratching is going to be way way way less than any scratch or dent the computer might experience if you don't have a hard case on it!;)

Any scratching that might occur due to dirt under the hard case...would be far less severe than any scratching that may occur to the shell of the computer than would happen from simply putting the computer into & out of a book-bag.

You have to keep things in perspective. As mentioned above...any scratching due to the hard shell case will be far less severe (or invisible or not at all)...compared to what's going to happen to the computer with no hard shell case!

HTH,

- Nick
EXACTLY what I was thinking.
I know scratches will happen.
But I just kept reading reviews and people saying how they got scratches. Part of me just kept thinking "But still, the computer would get even more scratched up without the case on.
I just wanted to make sure it was nothing severe, but yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, that I'd rather get a $20 case scratched up and have to buy a new one later on down the line than get the computer itself all scratched up.
I understand a $20 case isn't going to be really protective, but it's better than nothing.

I was thinking along the same lines as you, but just thought I would double check to make sure there wasn't any huge issues with it. I think I've decided to go with an iPearl instead of the Kuzy, since the iPearl actually got slightly better reviews and it's cheaper.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know scratches will happen.

Without a hard shell case on it...scratches will DEFINITELY happen. The aluminum that the shell of the computer is made of is just too soft (aluminum is a soft metal). I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of brand new MacBook Pro's get their first scratch the very first day they are used!

I'm not necessarily talking BIG/deep scratches. But little micro-scratches...or at least little "swirly" type scratches. But then again big major scratches can happen on the first day as well. Also...the big flat bottoms & tops of MacBook Pro's can be very easily dented. These are just large curved pieces/sheets of aluminum...probably not much more than 2-3x thicker than a soda can.

THere are many scenarios that could dent a MacBook Pro...such as bumping into the corner of a table, dropping a heavy book onto the computer, dropping an iPod or iPhone onto the computer...etc. Hundreds & hundreds of ways to dent a MacBook Pro.

So MANY reasons for a hard shell case.:) But I will say...after you get your first dent or first big scratch...the rest of them don't seem nearly as bad!!!;) So preventing the first dent or scratch is what your REALLY trying to do with a hard shell case!!! A dent & scratch free computer also has better resale value!!!:)

But I just kept reading reviews and people saying how they got scratches. Part of me just kept thinking "But still, the computer would get even more scratched up without the case on.
I just wanted to make sure it was nothing severe, but yeah, I was thinking the exact same thing, that I'd rather get a $20 case scratched up and have to buy a new one later on down the line than get the computer itself all scratched up.
I understand a $20 case isn't going to be really protective, but it's better than nothing.

Yes...I read those sort of reviews as well before I purchased my first hard shell case. The thing we don't know is...how careful were these people being with their computers...and the environments they were exposing their computers to.

For example...if someone takes their MacBook Pro to the beach...and they get some grains of sand stuck between the MacBook Pro & the hard shell case...of course there is going to be scratching. Sand is a VERY hard substance...and will most definitely scratch the aluminum case of a MacBook Pro. Plenty of other examples as well...where the average person will never expose their computer to (with a hard shell case on it).

Getting a hard shell case for your new MacBook Pro is a VERY good idea. It does make it a bit thicker & a bit heavier...but (I think) the extra protection is worth it!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.