Stream Audio To DNLA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Does anyone know of a way to stream the audio from my mac to a DNLA TV.
I have a Spotify premium account and would like to listen on my TV.
I have spent many hours searching for an answer but cant find anything.
Thanks.
iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011.
OS X 10.8.4

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Spent a lot of time on my Mac and Windows boxes and while I got pretty much everything working...
If you don't have a computer connected to the TV, just the plain easiest and best looking, break down and get an AppleTV.

Then for most of the things that don't/won't work with Airplay, grab Airfoil from Rogue Amoeba.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
If you have a LG TV Plex will work, but also have a look at TVMOBiL witch is DNLA compatible for Mac's.

If you have a Netgear router also and if its compatible with Netgear Genie App you can do it via iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
There are several DLNA servers for Mac, some suggested above. But that's not going to help you with Spotify. Either an AppleTV as Bobtomay suggests or a RaspberryPI with XBMC on will both give you an AirPlay receiver, coupled with AirFoil that will do the trick.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Thanks for the reply's
Looks like its time for an Apple TV.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The problem with a straight DLNA server is that it wants to handle your media for you and then dish it out to complaint devices. It, however, doesn't easily or readily integrate with other applications that stream/manage the media.

Things like AirFoil basically hijack the audio as it's going out of the application and redirect..so Bobtomay's suggestion is probably the simplest one to implement..

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think you guys are right. I have spent quite some time trying to stream my music from the Mac Pro to a Samsung DVD player which claims to have DLNA support.Despite trying several of the applications mentioned here I have had little success.

At first I thought this was a software issue but now I am thinking the player does not offer as much as it claims. TVMOBiL came closest but even then the player will not play formats TVMOBiL supports.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Samsung uses the AllShare method of accessing DLNA servers and if you have a complaint one, it works great. My NAS is a DLNA-compliant server and my Samsung TV can access all the media on the NAS and stream it without any problems..

To do the same with media on your Mac Pro, you'd need to use AirFoil that acts as the DLNA/AllShare server..

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
DLNA has been a frustrating experience for me. The promise of easy streaming is a joke and I generally resort to other simpler solutions. However, I'm working across devices (my Mac, LG and Samsung devices) so that could be why.

docx, take a look here.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that tip. I downloaded AirFoil a couple of days ago because something I read made me think it might work. I have not set it up yet. 'll probably work on that this weekend.

Our Samsung TV is not network aware but the DVD player is if you jump through enough hoops. I might be looking for a different player though because I have been a bit disappointed by the Samsung DVD-C500.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Lately I've been disappointed in everything Samsung makes. When their products were domestically made in Korea, they were of good quality but now since everything comes out of China, their quality control has gone downhill. It must be their Chinese supplier because most products coming out of China are well made.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Our TV which is part of a series that came out shortly before the 3D craze. it works quite well. The Samsung monitor I have has worked well for several years.

The DVD player is another matter. It is somewhat slow to load or do other functions. Wireless networking seems to only work with certain dongles (a specific chipset) and their description of the level of DLNA support seems very misleading to me.

My long term plan is to use MY MB Pro as a dedicated media server (replacing dead Mac Pro and add another Mac as my primary machine. Maybe by the time Apple gets new Mac Pros out the door I will be able to afford one. lol.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.