Is this an ok iMac for my first?? Pls help

Reaction score
I really want to make the switch and get an iMac. But I don't really have the 1000.00 to spend on a fairly new one. I did come across this at a pretty decent price.

Apple iMac 20" Desktop - MB323LL/A (April, 2008) Intel Core 2 Duo 2.40GHz, 250GB

Are these OK to start with and what about an upgrade? Is 4GB really the max for RAM, and possibly a little faster hard drive. Any help here would be appreciated. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
According to Mactracker, you can install up to 6 GB of memory and update to the latest release of OS X (Mountain Lion 10.8.4). Upgrading the hard drive in any model iMac is a difficult task to do yourself. You can see the entire procedure at iFixit: The free repair manual. But briefly, the entire front panel display must be removed before you can get at the inside of the iMac to change out the hard drive.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Taking it apart is no prob. I have worked on few pc laptops before and actually work on the old arcade circuit boards and such. I watched a quick vid on how to change out a hard drive in a newer one, didn't seem to be that bad. I think I may take the plunge. Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That is a perfectly good iMac to start with. And 4GB should be enough to get Mountain Lion to be happy. I got my daughter a 24" 2009 iMac with a Core2Duo processor and upgraded the memory to 4GB and it works ML without any problems.

Now, granted she's not doing anything extremely strenuous with the system, but for a starting iMac it works..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I agree as well...that would be a decent and useable 1st Macintosh computer.

I have a core 2 duo iMac slightly older than that, and a 2008 MacBook...and both are quite useable.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.