Router Names

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro (Intel Core 2 Duo: 2.4Ghz: 4GB Memory)
Hello All,

I have an issue with how my Mac is showing up on my router. My mac is showing up as Ake I & II in my router. At first I thought maybe my mac got compromised so I reloaded my system last night including erasing the drive. It is still showing up as the same thing. I have gone into network>advanced>wins and the netbios name is showing something else and I even tried to change that and save it. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Macbook Pro
OS X 10.8.4

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Showing up as that name where? Is it showing up as a DHCP client? If so, make sure the NetBIOS name is set to what you want it to be. If it is the case, you'll need to restart the network services on the machine (to make sure they take effect) and the easiest way to do this is to simply restart the machine.

OP
m@cnewbie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried rebooting with no change to the name. It shows under attached devices>device name in my netgear router settings. I also checked the ip and it is the one my mac is showing. Thank you for your help on this.

OP
m@cnewbie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Please I am still stumped by this....any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you take a screenshot of the location where you see this and upload it here for us?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On your Mac open System Preferences then Network. Are you connected Wired or Wireless? If Wired click on Ethernet then on advanced then on WINS. What is the Netbios name there?

On my Dlink DIR-655 is shows that exact name under connected devices.

OP
m@cnewbie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
As I said in a previous post dtravis7 I have gone into the wins under wireless and the wins name shows YabbaDabba and the router still shows something different. Here is the screenshot.

Router_Connected-Devices.jpg

OP
m@cnewbie
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any suggestions? I have tried everything and it is still showing the same thing and I am stumped

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.