Can't completely delete contacts from Messages

Reaction score
Hello

Ok, need your help. I trying to completely delete this person (ex-girlfriend) off my phone and despite deleting her from contacts, icloud, and every other possible place where her phone number is stored, her name and number still comes if I type her name in Messages. If I type her name in the "To" box, it's still listed. HELP!!!

Any advice?

(For the sake of me not doing anything stupid)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hello

Ok, need your help. I trying to completely delete this person (ex-girlfriend) off my phone and despite deleting her from contacts, icloud, and every other possible place where her phone number is stored, her name and number still comes if I type her name in Messages. If I type her name in the "To" box, it's still listed. HELP!!!

Any advice?

(For the sake of me not doing anything stupid)

Umm don't type her name in Messages man. I know where your coming from, as i need to double check every msg i send now after a mishap msg going to the 'other' girl lol

What i could suggest it go into contacts on your Mac, make sure she is deleted from there completely, close down contacts and then go and find the contacts .plist and grab it to the and trash it (don't delete it yet)
Log out and back in, as well as doing a Hard reboot of iPhone/iPad by holding the Power button and Home button at the same time until it closes down. Then restart iPhone/iPad the normal way and see if it happens now.

Ill just go and get a path to the contacts.plist for you :)

ILL BE BACK

Well doesn't seem that Contacts has a .plist That i could find anyways, so then make sure she is deleted from contacts on ALL devices then reboot ALL devices and see if that helps you. If not you might have to delete you iCloud BackUps and hope for the best , , , ,
But as i said above, Just Don't Type HEr Name In To Messages :p

OP
T
Reaction score
Umm don't type her name in Messages man. I know where your coming from, as i need to double check every msg i send now after a mishap msg going to the 'other' girl lol

But as i said above, Just Don't Type HEr Name In To Messages :p

haha, if only it were that simply. The first two letters of her name are "Mo" so everytime i need to text my mom. Her name shows up for the first two letters.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Am guessing she's still listed in 'Mail', so open it up.

On the Menu bar go to 'Window'
Select 'Previous Recipients'
Delete from there.

OP
T
Reaction score
OMG, it's been months but I finally figured out how to permanently delete contacts off my messenger! So a little update since my original post, my iPhone has been keeping a my exes phone number and despite deleting them off contacts, they show up if i type part of their name in messages.

I guess it's the new update but I'm now able to type their name, tap info, and "remove from recents" and tada, gone gone gone.

No more seeing Monica's name every time I try to text my mom. And no more temptation to text anybody else I had a bad relationship with....

Small victory but I feel cleansed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.