syncing iTunes across 2 Macs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Hi everyone. I have a Mac Mini at home that we use as the family desktop. The wife just surprised me with a Macbook for fathers day. Is it possible to sync llibraries across 2 Macs? Basically, whenever I add a song on one it would be cool to have it appear on the other. Sort of like how iCloud does for contacts.

I came across SuperSync but realized it was $30. Just curious if there was a free or cheaper method.

Thank you all.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Free built in already - Home Sharing - link

Pretty sure you can find plenty more tutorials.

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Free built in already - Home Sharing - link

Pretty sure you can find plenty more tutorials.

Does home sharing just simple share libraries when both on the same wifi? We use it between computers...What if I am on the road at a hotel and my wife downloads an album or imports a CD. Is there a program that will sync the two? For example: right now if my wife opens the address book app and adds "moms new cell", if I go to my macbook at work on wifi it will appear on my address book app. I know this works through iCloud/same apple ID just wanted to give an example.

Reaction score
With home sharing, you can share all files that you want to share including pictures, documents, videos, mp3, etc :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
With home sharing, you can share all files that you want to share including pictures, documents, videos, mp3, etc :)
Thats not exactly what the OP is looking for.

What you want is to get iTunes Match, where everything is then in the Cloud. Here in Aust it costs $34 from Memory, but if you Download a song at home, and the wife is out she will get it on her phone. If she burns a CD to iTunes at home, iTunes Match will update the Library and you can have it on your iPad, iPhone, iMac, MBP what ever you have as long as your signed into the same Apple ID . . .

EDIT If you downloaded a CD iTunes match will Match it with what they have in their Library and basically give you the Best quality, even if the song you have is 128 kbps they will update your library with a ACC file @256 kbps. Its really worth it IMHO and its cheaper in the US.
You need to invoke iTunes Match on what ever iDevice or Mac you want this on though. Its basically music in the cloud, but you can still download music as in the Full song onto a iPad without 3G to take with you or use Personal HotSpot from your phone

Have a read of this for a understanding and i think they have fixed a lot of issues with it http://www.macworld.com.au/blogs/itunes-match-one-year-in-79656/#.Ua_eHRYXe1s

HTH

Cheers

OP
Gary86
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 rMBP
Thats not exactly what the OP is looking for.

What you want is to get iTunes Match, where everything is then in the Cloud. Here in Aust it costs $34 from Memory, but if you Download a song at home, and the wife is out she will get it on her phone. If she burns a CD to iTunes at home, iTunes Match will update the Library and you can have it on your iPad, iPhone, iMac, MBP what ever you have as long as your signed into the same Apple ID . . .

EDIT If you downloaded a CD iTunes match will Match it with what they have in their Library and basically give you the Best quality, even if the song you have is 128 kbps they will update your library with a ACC file @256 kbps. Its really worth it IMHO and its cheaper in the US.
You need to invoke iTunes Match on what ever iDevice or Mac you want this on though. Its basically music in the cloud, but you can still download music as in the Full song onto a iPad without 3G to take with you or use Personal HotSpot from your phone

Have a read of this for a understanding and i think they have fixed a lot of issues with it iTunes Match: One year in - Macworld Australia - Macworld Australia

HTH

Cheers

Thank you very much. I also came across this...

How to Sync Two Computers & iTunes Libraries | Chron.com

I will def check out iTunes Match. I never really looked into and actually forgot about it.

Gary

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@TattooedMac Thanks for that link It answers several questions about iTunes Match. I have not been using it in part because I am having enough trouble getting iTunes to manage my library properly. It has taken forever to get most of the duplicates removed (courtesy of the switch from .m4p to m4a right after that became available.

I also have a couple of albums listed as partials because iTunes can't find all of the files and the albums are no longer in the store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Home sharing lets you bring all the content from one iTunes library into the another. This copies the content so away from home/offline access isn't an issue. You can also set it to automatically download new purchases too.

That will keep the two in sync.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.