iStat Screenshot, anything wrong?

Reaction score
I've attached a screenshot of my iStat meter. I know I have a broken LCD Temp Cable from installing an internal SSD, new cable is in the mail. This is causing the Optical and CPU fan to run extremely high. My computer has been a little laggy since this happened, especially when running music software. Is the Optical and CPU fan running high causing this, or does something else seem off in the meters. The temps seem high, but when I put my hand to the computer it's very normal. As some people say, I could not fry an egg on it.

Any input would be appreciated, I'm hoping this lag is just from the fans.

Screen Shot 2013-06-05 at 11.26.27 AM.png

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If those temps are °F...they are not high at all (I'm not sure why you would think this). The highest temp is 126°. Now if these temps are °C...then that's a much different story.

As far as the fan speeds. 3800-4000rpm isn't low...but then it's not max either. High fans speeds are 6000+ rpm.

You didn't tell use what Macintosh computer we are talking about. I know that the thread is in the "Desktops" section...so I'm assuming it's a desktop computer of some sort.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
It's a mid 2010 iMac. From everywhere I've read those RPM's are from my broken LCD cable, that seems to be the RPM they go to when the sensor breaks. I'm just trying to isolate the issue of my CPU being a little slow. It makes sense to me that its from the fans, but I'm not quite sure. I'll know once the cable gets here.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It makes sense to me that its from the fans, but I'm not quite sure.

Nope...it's not the fans. The fans are simply mechanical devices that move air to cool the computer. Slowness is due to something else.

I would recommend getting all the defective hardware replaced (LCD cable) before tackling this problem. Then you can be sure that it's not a hardware/sensor issue...and something that's more software based...or file maintenance based.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are there any ways I can check to see if it's software based? Any programs, etc...

I would really recommend getting that LCD cable & installing it before doing anything else (just so there aren't any confusing results). But if you insist:

1. Open "Activity Monitor"...select "All Processes" at the top of the window...look thru the list and see if anything is going on that shouldn't be...AND is taking up a lot of cpu resources.

For example...right now on my computer I only have a couple of simple programs open (Safari and Mail)...and my computer is using around 15-20% cpu resources (out of 400%...4 cores).

2. Download & run a program called "Onyx" (automated setting). It's basically a file maintenance program that "cleans", straightens up, reorganizes things back to the way they should be for best performance.

HTH,

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.