Old email address haunting me!

Reaction score
Hi guys

I used to have a domain years ago called reasonablypricedwebsites.com which I bought through JustHost. I closed this account down, but for some reason, whenever people try and email my new address (which I have bought through One.com), they receive an error saying "Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender" from my reasonablypricedwebsites.com address.

I've spoken to both JustHost and One.com and both of them have said it's got nothing to do with them and they don't know why it's happening. The only other thing I can think of is it's some setting on my Mac or in my Mail.

It's driving me and my clients crazy and looks really unprofessional - especially given the domain name! Please can someone help me or point me in the direction of someone who can?

Many thanks

Oli

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini: 500GB-8GH : iPad 2 64GB
Does everyone that has gotten this message failure's have a Mac? The email system is notorious for using old email addresses even after the contact is updated.

My Dad got a new job, and new email, about two years ago and it still brought that email up occasionally.

Make sure your clients are using your new email because it sounds like like just a mix-up.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
"Whenever"? as in... you get no mail whatsoever from any individuals at all that have ever had your prior address on their computers and all mail is being returned to sender.

Unless you've had the new address forwarding mail to the old one:

I'd have to say the problem is on the senders end and they still have the old address in Outlook (etc) that's being used by default.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I just did a whois search on your old domain and it is listed as being available, so you don't have it registered and parked anywhere. That being the case, this is a simple case of your clients just sending the email to the wrong address and their mail server sending it back because it can't resolve the email address/domain.

There is nothing you can or have to do apart from telling your clients to check and double-check that they are sending you the email at the right address..

Reaction score
I agree with Razor, just tell them to make sure that you're using a new one. I just do hope that all of them remembers. hihihihi. Some people just send and send emails and dont double check the adresses :D

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi guys, thanks for your replies... the thing is - these are people I've never spoken to before, so there's no way they'd have that old email address!

It mostly seems to happen when I send emails from my mac at home (which was the one I used when I had that previous email address set up).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It happens when you SEND mails? Thought it was when others sent you mail? Is this only happening when they reply to you?

The first thing to do is open your mail account and be sure you have delete the old account. If you don't want to delete it you must make sure that the send from address is your new email address.

OP
O
Reaction score
Hi, yeah it is when they email me. I'm designing some ads for a client and he's getting the advertisers to email me the details. So these people have never messaged me before yet they're complaining about the error message. It's been going on for a while though, people mention it quite often.

I've asked for one of them to forward the message the receive - this is:

-----Original Message-----
Sent: 05 June 2013 16:43
To: [email protected]
Subject: Mail delivery failed: returning message to sender

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
recipients. The following addresses failed:

<[email protected]>

domain name system error:
domain reasonablypricedwebsites.com:
domain not found

--- The header of the original message is following. ---

Received: from pcworldPC (host-92-27-205-51.static.as13285.net
[92.27.205.51])
by mrelayeu.kundenserver.de (node=mreu2) with ESMTP (Nemesis)
id 0MM2cS-1UlKCD1AGS-008KYn; Wed, 05 Jun 2013 17:43:13 +0200
To: "'Oli Corse'" <[email protected]>
In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
Subject: Read: Houselogic stationery
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2013 16:43:15 +0100
Message-ID: <[email protected]>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: multipart/report;
boundary="----=_NextPart_000_0171_01CE620B.C71A1260";
report-type=disposition-notification
X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook 14.0
Thread-Index: AQHh7w0VrQo2n7qKr5QRcAhG26tHP5kAKK5/
X-Provags-ID: V02:K0:I58EzUjx5+ozie95BBov6aWyJbek7z0VFMTlBvXPqzZ
0If2H3oU/Mo1VGHKCk3PqBUACO+tf0aeKvgc/BTE01ul33rNUC
niUFLxAAsqlhgQsWoKkvFg9gry+nDJ/65AjtzBsmj5bvdfkpaM
dWpfET4x6QwwVnP6CS+3jkaddKHoZ03xY4Z4WeixdJuKOrfKE4
LY5gE3s0+R7LbKtvVY8UsmFJFGzDQ2C0yS1wDYHLbDbzZYAMEW
nubnSBGuub1TpgJ1XYWGtAPhue+TAuuQwxT3MOZuEUVVgDpLtv
Cq2dlwjdfV6dcYhKsmwXE4ibXM2B7c6Qn3TunE+U3fLPK4/sBu
n0XjQqYX0aBEZeb0IYl7riLPnbQ5xBDI59F8/1p2atkhaprzB0
vkFA8oZYKHgqA==

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That shows the mail was sent to:
"'Oli Corse'" <[email protected]>

So that's the email address they have used to send to.

Where did they get your email address from? Wherever it is (your advertisers?) They are being given the wrong address. That returned email error is coming from the mail system way before it reaches your Mac. It's simply being sent to the wrong address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Feel free to PM me your current email if you'd like a independent send to test.

OP
O
Reaction score
This is really confusing then! I haven't used that email address for years and these people definitely wouldn't have it. I didn't even know them when that address was active!

Is there any other way it could be happening? I'm still receiving the emails they send to my new address ([email protected]) but they're getting that error message from the old [email protected] one. Could it be that the creatrixmarketing address somehow forwards to the old address? If so, would there be any setting on my mac that controls this, as I definitely haven't set this up with the new host/domain...

Thanks for your help so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How do new customers get your email address?

Sent a test mail across - and reply received OK. No error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, so the test mail and reply worked fine. So we know there are no weird and wonderful redirects or forwards in play.

It must hinge of the address that customers are being supplied

OP
O
Reaction score
Arg, I know it sounds crazy but that's impossible! There's no way these people would know that old address!

Come to think of it, it's only people I've emailed from this computer that seem to be experiencing the problem. Is there any chance you could reply to the email I sent you and see what happens? If nothing happens then I'll drop it!

Cheers mate

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must have your old address set as your reply-to address.

Send me a new email. Don't reply to the one I sent this time, create a brand new one and I'll look at the reply to info

Which email client are you using?

OP
O
Reaction score
I'm at work now so on a different computer. Thanks though, I'll do that tonight when I get home - definitely sounds like that could be the problem.

I'm running Mac Mail 4.6 at home.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, send me a new message from home.

Then check in Mail - Preferences - Composing - Send new messages from..... check the drop down list there and see what's selected. My bet is that your old address is there. If so, change it to your current address then send me another mail.

OP
O
Reaction score
Ok mate, email sent.

I looked under the setting you mentioned but unfortunately the address isn't in there. Gutted, it sounded like that was the answer!

Please reply to the email I just sent to see what happens.

Many thanks again for your patience.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Replied. The return address was your new, valid address.

So I guess we're struggling to recreate the error here . . .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.