Imac G3 can't find operating system

Reaction score
Greetings

My imac g3 has os 10.4.11 on it.
I was trying to install os 9 for classic mode, but now the computer can't find the operating system. I inserted a boot disc of os 9 and I tried to get the computer to boot in os 9 off the disc by going into the Startup Disk preference in System Preferences and selecting the computer to boot off the os 9 disc. First, there was the folder with a question mark, then the computer found os 10 and booted off of that. I tried the same thing again, and now it's not finding an operating system at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends on what type of OS 9 disc you are using. A system disc that came with another computer will not install. it does need to be what is known as a retail install CD. For starters boot from your Tiger disc and run Repair Disk to check out the hard drive. The way to boot from an install disc is to reboot and hold down 'C' immediately after the chime.

OP
B
Reaction score
The os 9 disc is a system copy that my dad burned onto a CD from another imac g3.

li

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.