MBP blacked out, completely nonresponsive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Macbook, 2009 Macbook Pro. All pretty standard, nothing too fancy.
I've read similar threads, but none have helped...
It is a 2009 (I believe), 13" Macbook Pro, and while using the internet it simply shut down.

-It will not respond to the power button.
-I have removed to battery and re-installed (did not help). It has the battery style that you "should not" remove, but I did it anyway...
-I tried to return the computer to its factory settings by disconnecting the power adapter and holding down the power button for at least 5 seconds (did not help).
-I tried to reset the parameter RAM (PRAM) by pressing the power button and immediately holding down the Command, Option, P, and R keys simultaneously (did not respond).
-Although it has the original memory that I bought it with, and the computer has worked well for over a year now, I tried removing and reinstalling the memory to see if the computer would start up (did not help).
-I can't seem to run an Apple Hardware Test, even with the cd (it is simply non-responsive).
-I followed the directions to reset the System Management Controller (did not help).
-The manual battery charge indicator on the computer's side says it has a good charge (all but one green light illuminates when I push the button, and it increased its charge when I left it plugged-in to the ac power source).
-Notable: When plugged into the ac power source the magnetic plug's LED is orange. However, when I push the power button, that LED turns green for 5-10 seconds (it seems to range). This is the only responsive part of the computer I have found when pushing any buttons.

Some background info: I bought it used/refurbished, and it came with mountain lion (I believe), and then during an improper shut down a few months back the computer crapped out. The service shop at my school re-installed the OS, but re-installed an older OS (snow leopard, I believe), saying this was the correct OS. I'm not sure if they were right in doing this, but the computer has worked very well for several months since then with the older version OS, and I've had no complaints until now.

Thank you, James

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Some background info: I bought it used/refurbished, and it came with mountain lion (I believe), and then during an improper shut down a few months back the computer crapped out. The service shop at my school re-installed the OS, but re-installed an older OS (snow leopard, I believe), saying this was the correct OS. I'm not sure if they were right in doing this, but the computer has worked very well for several months since then with the older version OS, and I've had no complaints until now.

Your computer may have originally shipped with Snow Leopard (10.6)...but it can also run Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8) perfectly fine.:)

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, I tried to reset the SMC to no avail... and I really thought that process would help given the SMC's connection with "responding to presses of the power button" and "responding to the display lid opening and closing on portable Macs," according to apple support.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately, I tried to reset the SMC to no avail... and I really thought that process would help given the SMC's connection with "responding to presses of the power button" and "responding to the display lid opening and closing on portable Macs," according to apple support.

Sorry...I just reread your original post...and I see that you did already try the SMC reset. You confused me by fully writing out what "SMC" stands for!;)

I'm not really sure what else to recommend. If the battery is good, and the charger is good...AND you do get some response from the power button occasionally (you mentioned that the light on the charger plug turns from orange to green momentarily).

Believe it or not...there are not a whole lot of parts inside a MacBook Pro that can cause the problems you have (non-fuctioning computer):

- Won't turn on
- No startup chime
- No hard drive spin-up
- No video on display

Here are three things that I can think of that may be at fault:

1. Bad power button (possible, but unlikely)...since you do get that momentary light change on the power plug. But who knows.

2. Bad logic board. Well you certainly don't want this. It would cost more to replace it than the computer is worth.

3. Some Apple laptops have a separate "DC In Board". Basically this is a small board that the power charger plugs into...and it is separate from the logic board. I'm not 100% sure if your computer has a seperate DC in board or not (check it out). But if it does...these are a lot less expensive.

Unfortunately there's not really any way for a "home electronics person" (DIY) to test these parts (other than the power switch) to see if they are bad or not. The only way to test is to have a known good part...then swap it for the possible "bad" part.

Hopefully some of this helps!:)

- Nick

p.s. I also wanted to mention that on the newer Apple laptops with the "technically" user non-serviceable battery...disconnecting it like you did was a very good thing to try. I have had power problems with Apple laptops in the past...and when I disconnected the non-servicable battery...then plugged it back in...the computer did restart (when previously it wouldn't when pressing the power button).

Unfortunately in this case...trying this step hasn't helped. But at least it was tried!:)

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3, I will try out some of your advice later this evening. But, you mentioned that there is a way to test the power switch- do you happen to have a link for this? Also, i noticed that you made no mention of a hard drive failure, had you ruled this out?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
pigoo3, I will try out some of your advice later this evening. But, you mentioned that there is a way to test the power switch- do you happen to have a link for this? Also, i noticed that you made no mention of a hard drive failure, had you ruled this out?

The power switch is just a button and two wires. If you use a multimeter (putting one of the multimeter probes on each wire) and don't push the button...you get infinite resistance. When you press and hold the button...you get continuity. That's it.

As far as the hard drive. If the hard drive was dead (and was the only problem)...the computer would still turn on, you would get the normal startup chime, and you would get video on the display. The computer just wouldn't boot into the OS.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"3. Some Apple laptops have a separate "DC In Board". Basically this is a small board that the power charger plugs into...and it is separate from the logic board. I'm not 100% sure if your computer has a seperate DC in board or not (check it out). But if it does...these are a lot less expensive."

Hi pigoo3, are you referring to this part:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/apple-notebooks/241330-magsafe-820-2565-a.html

If so, my laptop does contain this part. However, I'm not sure why this part would be related to my symptoms of a blackout and non-responsive computer, considering that my computer can accept a charge (based on the battery indicator performance that I mentioned earlier), which makes me think this part is not defective. Maybe I don't fully understand the function of that part?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe I don't fully understand the function of that part?

I listed three possibilities above:

1. Bad power button (possible...but unlikely).
2. Bad logic board (gonna cost you $500 to replace & probably not worth).
3. Bad DC in board (a possibility & affordable).

Whether you understand the functionality or not of the DC in board...what else are you going to do or try? There really are no other parts that could be the source of the issue than what I listed.

At this point you have three choices:

1. Try something you haven't tried already.
2. Put the computer in the closet & forget about it.
3. Sell it for parts.

- Nick

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I should make an update on this post in case anyone else runs into the same issue I had. It was the logic board that ultimately failed. Thanks for all of your help, especially to Nick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I thought I should make an update on this post in case anyone else runs into the same issue I had. It was the logic board that ultimately failed. Thanks for all of your help, especially to Nick.

Sorry to hear that...really sticks!!!:( But on the positive side...it does force the opportunity to get something newer & better.:)

I know that this may not always be in the budget...but with computers being almost as necessary as automobiles...it's something we almost must do.

Good luck & thanks for the update,:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.