MACBOOK PRO mid 2012 feeling static charges

Reaction score
HI,

I have a Macbook Pro mid 2012 non retina. And I noted that when I connect the charger and slide my fingers along the aluminium body of the macbook I feel static charges.

Is this damage? I noted as well that if I touch the macbody with one hand and then try to slide my finger across the body with the other hand it does not feel more static charges. It is like it needs a ground to the body.

Can you please help?

Thanking you in advance.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's not damage. We get reports from users now and then of the same thing. If you live in a very dry climate with low humidity, static will build up on your body and discharge though the computer chassis when it's on AC power. You can avoid the tingling by grounding yourself prior to using your computer. Touch a cold water pipe in your kitchen or bathroom to clear your body of static build up.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's not damage. We get reports from users now and then of the same thing. If you live in a very dry climate with low humidity, static will build up on your body and discharge though the computer chassis when it's on AC power. You can avoid the tingling by grounding yourself prior to using your computer. Touch a cold water pipe in your kitchen or bathroom to clear your body of static build up.

Hi I found the cause. Apart from your good tought thas also makes a lot of sense.

I noted that the power cord for the power supply contains a ground that connects to the metal pin of the power supply. and that the small plug does not contain this connection. thus when the chager is plugged through the small plug the body is not earthed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.