Need a Networking/Wireless/Router/Modem Guru !!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The long of the short of it ;

I got Server for ML from the MAS and went ahead and set it up as server.private so i could Back to my Mac and so i could get WebDAV setup for iPad Mini quick file transfer as well as while i was away from home.
Set it up fine, i had WebDAV up and running, and i was happy. My whole wireless network was working fine, with my Epson WF 7510 seen and set up as my wireless printer for AirPrint. My iPhone and my girl could see it on her iP5 and MBA.

I could sit on the lounge and log into my DGND4000 or (WNDR4000) for those North of me and change all router settings, and if the kids were playing up, i would just cut the 2.4GHz band for ½ hour or so hehe (make me laugh when ever i think of that lol bc they can't log in and change it back) :p
I have a App LAN Scan and i could scan my Network anytime and could see if i had any rouge intruders and i would usually get 14-16/17 devices all found on my network.
I could Google Cloud Print from my iP5 or iPad Mini when out and about and they would be printed out when i got home.

As you can see it was set up and all hunky dory, THEN i got a notification because i didn't allocate my MBP where i set it up with a Static IP and because of this it had to change **configurations** so i click on Apply :(
This is where it went all down hill. My WebDAV couldn't connect I couldn't find my Printer, i couldn't login on my MBP on the lounge wirelessly to change settings on the Router, so i stopped the server and deleted it completely and rebooted the Router. No JOY. My Girl can't see it either. I can't set up my T/Capsule as i deleted everything and was going to start a fresh as i had what i wanted on my SD BU.
The LAN Scan App CANNOT find ANYTHING on the wireless network . . .AND the NetGear Genie App can't even see the Modem/Roiuter on the Same network either, and it did before and i could change settings from that on the lounge too.

I had a backup from a week before with SuperDuper as well as hourly BU with TimeMachine. I opened T.M and noticed that Macintosh HD had my Library and Application folders . . . . Ummm Ghosted over. They were there, but in the lighter ghosted blue and double clicking them did nothing. So i went in the the T.M Files on my Mac and tried to delete EVERY BackUp that had them GHOSTED over and it only went back 9 to when the change of Server Config happened, and it wouldn't let me :(

Anyways i did a complete reinstall of the OS and did a Hard reset of the Router but the Router kept bringing me back to my Previous setup, with my Network names i gave the 2.4 and 5GHz bands . . .
So now I'm confused. What TF could of happened when the Server Config changed, to the Wireless part of all this ??
I can login to the Router via Ethernet still and have looked through and nothing seems out of place. Was on hold for 1hr this morning with NetGear Aust and will try them tomorrow, But in mean time, thought one of you networking Guru's might have a answer to me.

I don't have Server running ATM, i haven't even set it up. 10.8.3 13" 2012 MBP, iP5 with 6.1.3 . . .

WHAT HAS HAPPENED that the LAN Scan App can't pick up anything on the network. The printer is set up on the Network on the 2.4GHz Band and the report gives me PASS in everything, but now Google Cloud is Disabled and Epson Connect is disabled, but i think thats because i reset to factory default settings and now bc the Epson App can't find it on the Wireless Network i can't update the Firmware?software :(

PLEASE HELP

Im not i Router/Modem config genius by any means so in simple speak would be good :)

Thanks

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
As you can see it was set up and all hunky dory, THEN i got a notification because i didn't allocate my MBP where i set it up with a Static IP and because of this it had to change **configurations** so i click on Apply :(

TM - can you elaborate on this piece a bit?

So, everything was working fine until you got a pop up message (from the OS?) referring to a static IP address? I'm a little confused here - was the MBP on static IP? Or maybe you were connecting to one of your networked devices and the message came from a remote source?

I'd like to try to understand the source of this message. Also, I need to know for sure whether any of this stuff was set to static IP.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sorry Chris, i set the Server up without allocating my MBP a Static IP, so when the MBP IP changed as in the local ip 192.168.0.1 being router and my MBP was 192.168.0.11 and changed to 192.168.0.9 i got a notification from the server.app that the config has changed do you want to apply.
I clicked YES later finding out it was my MBP local ip that had changed.
NOTHING had a static IP at any stage
That help a bit ?? ;) I know it was a longish post but i tried for 2 day to try and right things as we just had a Long Weekend …

Just to let you know, I'm getting a call back in a hour from Netgear Rep to help reset the Router because its not resetting to factory settings for some reason, and once we can ill be able to set the network up again and start from scratch , but would still like to know why this change of ip config could play absolute havoc with my wireless network :(

So this Thread will go to a Knowing why this happened and if anyone has had experience with Servers and the such to help me out and explain, when i go ahead and set it up again, SHOULD i allocate my MBP a Static IP ??

I looked @ the router settings and for the life of me couldn't see what had changed to have it do what it did

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well i have now got my network back but the Rep couldn't help what so ever about what could of been changed and i still have no idea, so I'm worried about trying to set up the Server.app again.

Anyone know of a easy way of Getting WebDav set up or run me through allocating my MBP a Static IP so once i have setup the Server and Share Points, nothing will change as my MBP has a Static IP.
Im realitvly sucky at these sort of things, but would like to know, assigning a Static IP to my MBP, will that mess anything up, or will it just keep my MBP on that one IP address and thing will go on with life ??

Then if everything is sweet with a Static IP, ill set the Server up again, and it won't give me a warning the Settings/Config is changing because my MBP IP will stay the same ?? If i understand that correctly :)

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.