Mac Operating system upgrade...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
Hi,

I'm running OSX 10.5.8 (Leopard) on my macbook and have been told that I can upgrade to Snow Leopard but no farther than that with the computer I have. The person said it was about $20 to do this.

How complicated is this to do? Can someone walk me thru it? Sorry, I'm not a very savvy user so I usually need help with most things other than really simple, basic stuff.

Thanks in adv,

Bob M.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Bob depends on the precise model MacBook. In general, the very first model, 2006, can of course handle Snow Leopard OS X.6 which is available from Apple online for $19.99 including postage. 2007 models can handle Lion OS X.7, but that is no lonmger available and the 2008 onwards models can run the latest operating system, Mountain lion OS X.8.

To start go with Snow Leopard and all your software may well be compatible. Lion and Mountain lion will not run PowerPC applications, such as Office 2004 etc. It is an easy bnstall but suggest using an external drive in a caddy to back up all your files first.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.