Migrating printer profiles

Reaction score
Can anybody tell me how to migrate my Printer profiles from WINDOWS XP to Mountain Lion?
I used Migration assistant originally to set up my Macbook Pro but do not know where to look to see if the printer profiles have come across. Also, I do not know where they live on my WIN XP..
Any advice welcome.
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
"Printer profiles"??

You can see if a printer is installed by going into System Preferences on your MBP, then click on Printers. There should be a list of installed printers. I'm not so sure that Migration Assistant would install a printer on your Mac, however. That's probably going to have to be a separate procedure. Usually the Mac will discover the printer if you go into that Printer section I mentioned in System Preferences and then click the "+" sign to add a printer. The Mac will look for and install the appropriate drivers if they are available.

C

chas_m

Macs aren't like Windows (thank goodness!). Normally all one needs do is plug in the printer to the USB of a Mac and open System Preferences -> Print & Scan to be sure that the printer is already visible and ready to use (it usually is, but sometimes will require you to "add" it as described above).

Easy peasy.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks.
My problem is not installing the printer itself, but getting the correct profile installed which ensures that my images are displayed in precisely the same colours as they appear on my screen when using particular inks and paper surfaces
There is a special device which sets the profiles from printed images, and it is those settings which I need to transfer.
Richard

C

chas_m

Ah, you are talking about a COLORSYNC profile.

The problem with transferring the profile, if I understand you correctly, is that your old profile was calibrated for the screen of your Windows machine. That profile is essentially worthless on your new Mac, as it has a different screen. Even if you are using the same monitor for some reason, the calibration will be very different (Macs use a different gamma, for starters).

However, if you want to give it a shot, Macs can use ICC profiles created on other machines. You should store them in your home folder, under Library -> Colorsync -> Profiles.

If you are using Lion or later, the Library folder in your Home folder is hidden by default. You can reveal it using the Go menu in the toolbar. Just press the Option key while that menu is open, and the Home folder Library will appear as a choice. Select it then navigate to the Profiles folder and put the ICC file there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Thanks.
My problem is not installing the printer itself, but getting the correct profile installed which ensures that my images are displayed in precisely the same colours as they appear on my screen when using particular inks and paper surfaces
There is a special device which sets the profiles from printed images, and it is those settings which I need to transfer.
Richard

What your after i think is the ability for CMYK support, and we have that natively on the Mac. Meaning you can use ColorSync Utility.app and change any image you have to the CMYK profile (which is what professional printers use) to keep the colours you see on the page/screen on the paper that comes out of the printer.
And the Mac Application Pixelmator 2.2 for a low $14.99 and a good alternative to PS and Fireworks, now has that support as well. See my post here for more information, BUT if this has nothing to do with CMYK, then take NO notice in what i have just written :)

OP
E
Reaction score
Chas and Mac
I am so grateful for your input. I have been battling with Adobe because I use the full Creative Suite PS 5.5 and they will not allow me to migrate that to my Mac without first purchasing an upgrade to version 6 costing me about £200 for a load of stuff for which I have no use. I had resolved to drop back to Elements 11, but what I have read about Pixelmator excites me.
I shall look into that with great interest.
Am I correct that Pixelmator is an Apple app, and is there any way I can try before buying?

Richard

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
OP
E
Reaction score
My sole requirement is to get my images printed with PRECISELY the same colours and contrast as seen on the screen. This works fine on Windows after calibrating the screen then profiling the printer to match.
Richard

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
My sole requirement is to get my images printed with PRECISELY the same colours and contrast as seen on the screen. This works fine on Windows after calibrating the screen then profiling the printer to match.
Richard

And as i mentioned in my previous post that has everything to do with CMYK and with Pixelmator where Bobtomay linked you too, you can trial it for 30 days. In the post i linked you too where people where wanting to get their RGB profiles to CMYK this was because they wanted the colours on the screen to be the colours that get printed, so give PM a go and see if it meets your needs.
It is a great App

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.