liquid found on logic board

Reaction score
Hi all!
Basically I had to get my battery replaced today, and after they replaced it they said they found liquid on the logic board and 2 other places (I did spill some water over it a couple of weeks ago). I'm now wondering whether it is worth replacing or not... my laptop does seem to be working fine, but the apple person said it could gradually get worse and recommend replacing the parts. The only problem is, is its going to cost £430 to replace, and I'm finding it hard to part with that money while it's currently working fine! what are the chances it will get worse? Do you think I should just bite the bullet as I probably will have to do it sooner or later?
Megan

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I would wait until the computer actually starts having problems. At this point (weeks later)...it may be fine (depending on what sort of liquid was spilt).

Regarding the repair. Unless this computer is a relatively new model...it's almost never cost effective to replace the logic board on an older Apple laptop. That repair money is usually much better spent on paying for a new/newer computer.

But if it's a newer model. That models current value may be high enough to justify paying to have the logic board replaced. But I personally wouldn't do it until the computer starts having problems (which may or may not happen if it's currently working fine).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thread moved to more appropriate sub-forum.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.