Transferring iTunes Music from PC to Mac

Reaction score
I have transferred my iTunes library from my PC to my Macbook. I 'see' the file under my Music folder, in the iTunes folder. Problem is, when I open iTunes, it does not have it. What and I doing wrong? Everything else that I have transferred is working just fine.

Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
What exactly did you transfer over and how?

OP
C
Reaction score
I transferred my iTunes Library and a couple of short home movies. I transferred this via a USB flash drive.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
So under the Music folder in your home directory on the Mac there should be a iTunes folder that contains your library files and any music. Ensure you don't have too many sub-folders, i.e, /Music/iTunes/iTunes or something..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It sounds like your missing the library file. Which files are in the iTunes folder? Of those files are the exact same size/date as those on the PC?

OP
C
Reaction score
When I open Music, then iTunes, there are two folders. Album Artwork and iTunes Media. There is also iTunes library extras.itdb, iTunes Library Genius.itdb, iTunes Library.itl, and iTunes Music library.xml

When i open iTunes Library.itl, it takes me to iTunes. It shows a 'Music' page which says basically this is the page that will show your library. I click on store, then library, it takes me back to the music page. I am confused. Hope this makes sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are those files identical in size and date to those on your PC?

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes, I believe so. They are the ones I moved from my PC. I may just have to go to the apple store to figure this out, unless you have any other suggestions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would check to make sure that the library location in iTunes is correct (in Preferences). Then I'd close iTunes using Cmd+q and delete the itl and XML files from /Music/iTunes on your Mac, then re copy the ones over from your PC
Now restart iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX
I could be wrong but I don't think iTunes will see them until you tell iTunes to search for media. I've done this several times and it works fine. You just have to tell iTunes to look for media and in the process it should find them just fine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I could be wrong but I don't think iTunes will see them until you tell iTunes to search for media. I've done this several times and it works fine. You just have to tell iTunes to look for media and in the process it should find them just fine.

That will work, but all playcounts, playlists etc will be lost. That should only need to be done if the ITL and XML files aren't available (which together are the library 'database') from the original library.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.