2006 Macbook printer recommendations?

TRI

Reaction score
I need to get a printer for a 2006 Macbook 2.0 GHz. It currently has OS 10.5.8 but I have a disk on order to upgrade to Snow Leopard. My understanding is that the 10.6.3 disk I bought will upgrade to 10.6.8.

Does anybody have any recommendations for cheap all-in-one printer/copy/scan machines, or ones to avoid?

It doesn't need to be wireless although it would be a bonus if it it was. This is for light home use.

Thanx :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Check out Brother wireless laser printers. The one I have works great.

- Nick

Reaction score
You can also try the Epson Artisan 50 6-color individual cartridges, 1.5 picoliter droplet size. It's only $140 but it's good :)

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Thanks Nick, Robert and Alice for your comments. :)

I just looked in an OfficeMax flyer and they have an HP 2512 for $40!

$40 is really cheap for an HP all-in-one, but I'm wondering if it is actually ok and HP plans on making their profit on the ink.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That printer has support for OS X 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 so that's good. You might want to read up a few reviews on how it does with ink consumption. Expect that to be the biggest part of running this printer.

Some newer printers are smart enough to use a black ink just for B&W printing and leave the color inks alone while others will use the more expensive color inks to generate black..

You did say light home use, so this should most likely be fine for you..

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Thanks.

I hate to think that something is no good based on low price alone, although it's often true.

The HP 1210 I bought 10+ years ago was built like a tank, but dealing with HP for Mac drivers at that time was a nightmare. That printer still works but it seems like 10.4.11 was the last OS they wrote drivers for.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Yeah it's the driver support (and how well it's supported) that makes all the difference with peripherals for Mac. So before I buy anything, I first make sure that there is a driver for it. Hard to tell how well it'll work until you get it installed, but at least you know with a driver you'll get the most basic functionality.

With my Canon printer, I'm finding that the Windows drivers provides a lot more control than the Mac version does.

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
re: " I'm finding that the Windows drivers provides a lot more control than the Mac version does."

That's been an issue for a long time. I was surprised when I went on the Apple site that the printers were pretty much split down the middle HP's and Epsons. When I bought my HP printer a decade ago it felt like Apple and HP were not on the same team!

I've always had the feeling that Epson was more Apple friendly, at least in the past. I had an Epson printer and liked it but had a lot of ink problems. I remember wanting to print a black and white page and having to replace all three of the color cartridges before I could print it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked in an OfficeMax flyer and they have an HP 2512 for $40!

If you're going to "just look" at a random Office Max flyer...doesn't that circumvent this thread??

$40 is really cheap for an HP all-in-one, but I'm wondering if it is actually ok and HP plans on making their profit on the ink.

All companies that sell inkjet printers make make lots of money on the ink...that's the way it's been for years & years.

And...unless HP has changed it's policy regarding their ink cartridges...I would stay away from anything HP. HP puts a "Best if Used By" date on their ink cartridges.

Because the printer knows what date it is...and because the "Best if Used by Date" is programmed into the ink cartridges...when that date is exceeded...the printer will refuse to continue to print from those ink cartridges. Even if there is a significant amount of ink remaining!!!

HP's excuse is...they want the consumer to have the best experience possible with their products. And this is why (they say) the ink cartridges have a best if used by date...and when that date is exceeded...the printer will no longer use those ink cartridges.

The last time I dealt with an HP printer product was a few years ago (because I banned myself from HP products due to this idiotic policy).

How would you like to have a set of perfectly good ink cartridges in the printer (with 50-75% of the ink remaining)...AND have multiple sets of replacement ink cartridges on your closet shelf (unopened)...and need to print some important documents ASAP. BUT...none of the cartridges will work...because the printer will refuse to print due to the "Best if Used by Dates" on the ink cartridges being past.

In my case...that's hundreds of dollars of money wasted on ink that cannot be used.

This is what happened to me...thus I will not purchase another HP product EVER!!!

- Nick

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Yes, I share your feelings for HP, although maybe not quite as strongly as I have had some good experiences mixed with bad.

Re: the OfficeMax printer - what I appreciate from the posters here is their honesty :) When I read reviews on a site, say like Walmart, I don't know if the reviews are real or just to boost sales.

Thanks for your comments, basically I'm looking to hear if anybody hates or loves certain printers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your comments, basically I'm looking to hear if anybody hates or loves certain printers.

Like I mentioned above...I have had good success with Brother Laser printers. I could list the specific model...but I'm not sure it is still available.

You mentioned that you are looking for an "all-in-one" printer. What you didn't say is whether you are interested in a laser all-in-one...or an inkjet all-in-one.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Probably inkjet as the cheaper units seem to be inkjets.

The Brother laser all-in-one I use was only $99 on sale (at the time I purchased it a couple years ago).

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
InkJet units may be less costly initially, but I guaranty they'll nickel and dime you to death with refill cartridges. A laser printer is more cost effective because a toner refill will last up to 10 times longer than ink cartridges. Of course if you need color, then an InkJet is the only real choice. Color laser toner cartridges are very expensive.

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Sorry for the delayed response folks...

I didn't know about this stuff. I didn't know that laser printers are mostly black print only except for expensive ones, that you can get them pretty cheap or that the cartridges do so many pages.

This is for my wife's home computer. I can't find any Brother laser printers at a good price right now.

Walmart has a Canon MF3010 and with shipping it ends up being $127. It comes with a bonus 4GB flash drive. It's a laser all-in-one and scans in color.

It has a "starter cartridge". The same people that thought up space-saver spare tires in the 70's now do this. They have generic toner cartridges on eBay for about $15.

I sure wouldn't miss when I wanted to print a black only page, had lots of black ink, but the Epson printer needed all 3 color cartridges replaced before it could print.

I just reread Raz0rEdge's comments on his Canon. It looks like the MF3010 has 10.4 thru 10.8 drivers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I can't find any Brother laser printers at a good price right now.

For what it's worth...here's the Brother laser printer I have:

Brother HL2280DW Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer, Brother Wireless Laser Printer, Networking Laser Printer

$149 is it's everyday price. Keep your eye's open on various web pages that track low price deals...and you may catch it on sale for $99 like I did (with free shipping)!:)

The main reason why I got it...was at the time...I was looking for a wireless printer. This one works great...and setting up the wireless was straightforward as well (which is not the way it is with all wireless printers).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Thanks, that looks nice, but I'm really looking for an all-in-one, and the Canon is one of the few laser all-in-one's I've seen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, that looks nice, but I'm really looking for an all-in-one, and the Canon is one of the few laser all-in-one's I've seen.

How are you defining "all-in-one"?

The Brother laser printer I mentioned prints, copies, and scans. What feature is it missing that other laser printers have (and may cost a lot more)?

Also (as far as I can tell)...the Canon MF3010 laser printer is missing two features that the Brother laser printer does have:

1. As far as I can tell the Canon MF3010 is not wireless. A VERY important feature to me...maybe not for you.:)
2. The Canon MF3010 doesn't seem to do "duplex" printing (being able to print on both sides of the same sheet of paper). The Brother laser printer can do this as well.

- Nick

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Thanks Nick, I missed that the Brother is a print/copy/scan machine, which is what I meant by "all-in-one". I know that some multifunction machines also fax but we do have a dedicated fax machine already so that's not a biggie. Also I do like the duplex ability.

Being wireless is an extra that will likely be a "must have" in a short time, I suspect that not being wireless is why the Canon is a bit less expensive than any of the other laser all-in-ones I've checked out.

I know that some multifunction machines also fax but we do have a dedicated fax machine already so that's not a biggie.

I do like the duplex printing ability.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My personal opinion is...you gotta have the wireless feature!!!:)

Even if todays setup has your wife's computer right next to the printer (using a cable)...there will be a time in the future when things will change.

Or...it's very very nice to be in a different room with a laptop (kitchen, living room in front of the TV, or wherever)...and being able to print from almost anywhere in your home. You just can't go without getting the wireless feature.

The duplex feature is nice as well. Saves paper.:)

For $99 bucks (what I paid on sale)...it's a very very good deal!:)

- Nick

p.s. And don't underestimate easy setup...especially when MANY products that say they are Windows & MAcintosh "freindly". They are still WAY MORE FRIENDLY with Windows devices! But easy/hard setup is hard to know...until you actually get the product home & try to set it up. I found the Brother printer fairy easy to setup.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.