2006 Macbook printer recommendations?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Nick. I have an older HP LaserJet that works great with my iMac running Mountain Lion but it's not wireless. I keep it on my desk attached via USB because it's my workhorse printer for the large print jobs that I do every week. I have two wireless all in one color printers in the house and office but they're not cost effective for large B&W print jobs whereas the laser is. My next laser printer will be wireless and duplex.

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Thanks again :)

Office Depot's site says a store near me has the Brother w/tax for $135... the cheapest Canon was $127 so it seems like we may have a winner folks :)

Question: the age old problem with inkjets is that you don't use the printer for a month and surprise! surprise! when you do it's dried up and needs new cartridges.

Because laser printers use toner cartridges does that problem not exist or at least happen way less?

If you don't use a laser printer for 6 months are the chances pretty good it will work ok?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Because laser printers use toner cartridges does that problem not exist or at least happen way less?

If you don't use a laser printer for 6 months are the chances pretty good it will work ok?

Toner cartridges do not dry up. I buy Toner cartridges for my HP LaserJet from an internet supplier at one third the cost from Office Depot or Staples. I buy them in large lots in order to save $$. I have kept some toner cartridges around for a year before using them without any ill effect.

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm sold.

The thought of having a printer with only one cartridge appeals to me to no end. Like having a car that all it does is start and go after having cars with every luxury add-on that never run well.

For those odd times we need color we'll just take a flash drive to Kinko's.

With the inkjets, the ink was not waterproof. It's only 10 ft from my car into the Post Office but that's been enough for rain to smear USPS labels I'd printed up.

The printing I had done at Kinko's on laser printers didn't do that. Would you expect the Brother laser printer to be the same?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

I've never had a problem with laser printer toner. The toner is very very very fine powder.

Like chscag...I have a couple older HP laser printers (which I haven't used in years & years). I would fully expect that if I brought these laser printers "out of retirement"...that they would work just fine (no toner issues).

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
With the inkjets, the ink was not waterproof. It's only 10 ft from my car into the Post Office but that's been enough for rain to smear USPS labels I'd printed up.

Would you expect the Brother laser printer to be the same?

This has always been one big advantage of laser printers. Ink-Jets use water soluable ink that if it gets wet will run. Laser printer toner (powder) is "fixed" or melted with heat inside the printer. Thus it will not smear or run if it gets wet.

The biggest advantage of ink-jet printers is color printing is much less expensive vs. color laser printers.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way. I'm not saying you SHOULD purchase the Brother laser printer that I'm recommending!;)

But I did do my research before I purchased it...its got some very useful features...it was a great price ($99 when I got it on sale)...and when I got it I got free shipping. I've had this printer for 2-3 years now...and it's very possible some better printers have been released since (maybe from Brother).

This Brother laser printer could certainly be a great "benchmark" to measure other printers against (price, features, etc.). But if you like it...by all means get it!:)

- Nick

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
I hear you Nick. The fact that you're a Mac person and you have one and it you like it means a lot and I appreciate it.

I'll do another check of the local stores for other possibilities. It would be nice to get something that was on sale instead of paying regular price.

But there don't seem to be many multi-function laser printers and finding if a certain one works with a Mac could be painful.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But there don't seem to be many multi-function laser printers and finding if a certain one works with a Mac could be painful.

Yes...been there...done that! Nice to avoid it!;)

- Nick

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
They should have a "Reality of Compatibility" rating on the box. Then you'd know why it still didn't work after you installed the drivers properly. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And don't ever pay the retail asking price. Look on the 'net and ask retailers to match the price.

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
bought it!

I bought the Brother Brother HL-2280DW printer and super-like it :)

Brother HL 2280DW Wireless Monochrome Laser Printer by Office Depot

Setup was glitch-free.

Since it's wireless, I can keep the unit is in my back studio where it's much more sheltered.

Thanks everyone for you help on this, especially Nick :)

Harry, the price at Office Depot online was the cheapest I found and the same in the store. Compared to other places it was a very good price.

There's nothing I don't like about it. Real fast. Has a toner saver mode that seems to be good enough for most of what we'll need.

I will try and report back on it sometime in the future after I've lived with it for awhile.

Thanks again :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I bought the Brother Brother HL-2280DW printer and super-like it :)

Setup was glitch-free.

There's nothing I don't like about it. Real fast. Has a toner saver mode that seems to be good enough for most of what we'll need.

Congratulations...glad you like it. A pretty good printer for the money!:)

- Nick

p.s. Don't forget the duplex printing feature (printing on both sides).:)

OP
T

TRI

Reaction score
Thanks Nick. And yes, I do like that it prints on both sides.

My wife is very sensitive to smelly new plastics, and most new things, especially electronics that heat up, have a pretty long off-gassing period.

Normally her printer would have been in the bedroom by her computer setup, but being wireless it can be in another room.

I think that had we thought about that at the first, we would have insisted on a wireless machine.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My wife is very sensitive to smelly new plastics, and most new things, especially electronics that heat up, have a pretty long off-gassing period.

Normally her printer would have been in the bedroom by her computer setup, but being wireless it can be in another room.

I think that had we thought about that at the first, we would have insisted on a wireless machine.

For what it's worth. I notice when a laser printer prints (heats up, starts making printing noises, spits out the printed document)...some "electronic" odor or laser printer toner odor (laser printers use toner just like inject printers use ink)...is produced.

So if your wife is sensitive to this sort of odor as well...another good reason for the printers wireless feature.:) Since this odor will be produced each time something is printed.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.