windows speed vs mac speed

S

switchedtomac1

I tried an older mac laptop and I like it-I have 2.2 ghz desktop pc and wanted to know what would be as fast in a mac desktop(G4,G5 ) And would I be able to run some Windows software on the mac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
switchedtomac1 said:
I tried an older mac laptop and I like it-I have 2.2 ghz desktop pc and wanted to know what would be as fast in a mac desktop(G4,G5 ) And would I be able to run some Windows software on the mac?

What kind of processor is in your PC? and it's very difficult to compare a mac's speed to a windows computer since the operating systems are entirely different. From my perspective Mac OS X makes all the basic stuff work seamlessly and quickly. The only time you really notice performance hits between the more powerful hardware and less powerful hardware is in pro applications and games. But yea... I'd say a current g5 imac or intel imac would be much faster in all areas than any 2.2 Ghz PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 1.83Ghz, 1GB Ram, 60GB HD. 19in. external display, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Closed Lid.
Oh yes... and the windows software would only work if it is cross compatible with mac. If it doesn't say that it is made for mac then it probably will not work.

OP
T

topshot

Windows software does not run on a Mac, but you can run Windows on a PowerPC mac using microsoft VirtualPC and then run that software as normal. You will also find a lot of software written for the Mac that can replace your existing software. For example, quicken for Mac or MS Office for Mac.

OP
S

switchedtomac1

Thanks! I have a pentium 4 in my pc now-It's a Dell with windows xp

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25Ghz Mini, 512MB, 40GB
So far my mini has held up very well compared to my PC, its never beat but my Pc is meant to be alot faster (Sempron 3100+). Compared to my old Celeron 2Ghz, it completely wiped it out interms of well... everything. A PC compared to a G5, well thats not my field, best left to thoes who know.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.