Need help with newly aquired Power-Mac G5

Reaction score
I just recently got this from a friend who owed me some money. and I've noticed it powers up fine. Now apple chime, and I cannot get it to connect to a monitor. I'm not sure if this would be a graphics card issue. or Logic Board? But I've tried to reset the PRAM and didn't get anything different.

I'd rather not dump a whole ton of money in to it. But i'd like to get it working again.

Any help would be awesome!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and I cannot get it to connect to a monitor.

This seems to be a bit unclear. Do you mean to say that you cannot physically attach a monitor...or that you are able to attach a monitor...but get no video output on the display?

I would also check with the friend you got the computer from...as to it's prior operational status. Who better than them would know this computer better!:)

- Nick

OP
X
Reaction score
No currently I have an adapter from DVI - VGA, then into my monitor.

But when I connect it, My monitor wont even recognize the mac. Almost like nothings plugged in.

the previous owner says he couldn't figure it out either

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It sounds like it could be a graphics card issue but unless you can swap it out for another, we would only be guessing at it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
No currently I have an adapter from DVI - VGA, then into my monitor.

Why the heck in 2013 are you still using VGA?? I hope it's not a CRT monitor as well!;)

This is a long shot. If you have a DVI monitor...maybe try that port on the card.

But when I connect it, My monitor wont even recognize the mac. Almost like nothings plugged in.

You mentioned in post #1 that you get the "Apple chime" when turning the computer on. Hopefully this is the "happy" Apple chime. If so...as chscag suggested...the video card may be bad.

You could try removing & then reinstalling the video card...and see if that helps. Another long shot idea.

the previous owner says he couldn't figure it out either

So then this was a pre-existing condition. The way I read post #1 initially was...it sounded like this computer may have been working fine at some point recently.

When you mentioned in post #1 that the computer "powers up fine"..this includes getting good video on the display. Getting good video on the monitor is part of "powering up fine".;)

If the ideas suggested still do not remedy things...you got to get another video card (used...e-Bay). But be warned. This computer is really only worth around $100 (maybe $125)...so don't spend too much on a replacement card (if you decide to go this route).

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.