Does Monitor Size Matter with Multi-Monitor setups?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just was gifted a 24' monitor, and I've been contemplating what to do with it. My first reaction is probably the most obvious, mult-monitor setup. Something I've been curious about for awhile, but have yet to take the plunge.

Problem is, I have a 27' iMac. A coworker, who is not the most computer literate (but still), told me that having a second monitor that is smaller in screen size wouldn't work. This seems preposterous as I can murkily recall my last job having a multi monitor set up with the second screen being a tad smaller.

I'm throwing this out to the community as a whole: Does this truly matter, or am I fine to go ahead with hooking this up? I would love to know before I unpackage the monitor, in case I need to return it.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
A coworker, who is not the most computer literate (but still), told me that having a second monitor that is smaller in screen size wouldn't work.

Firstly...if you already know that this coworker is not the "most computer literate" person...why are you putting any "stock" in their statement??;)

ANYWAY...this person is totally wrong. That 24" monitor will work just fine with your 27" iMac!:) You just need the proper cables and/or video adapters to complete the connection.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
i can attest to the fact that it works. My MB Pro screen is a second monitor to my 21" Samsung. In fact for a brief period of time I ran the following configuration with no significant errors:

1 24" Samsung (primary)
2. MacBook Pro screen (secondary monitor0 for chat screens, Photoshop palates etc)
3. 17" screen for e-mail and other things that did not get checked often.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.