Canon scanner / printer

Reaction score
I have difficulties with connecting a new Canon scanner/printer (MF8580) to my MAC. The printer works fine, but the scan and MAC do not connect. I am starting to wonder whether it is the software that Canon provides with for the scanner function that just is not compatible with a MAC. The CDs in the box were all for windows, so I downloaded the software that is supposedly for MACs from a Canon website.

Maybe a long shot on this forum, but is there anyone that encounter the same or problem (and have been able to solve it)?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you tried using Image Capture instead of the Canon software?

OP
L
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response!

I had not tried Image Capture, but now did. It shows two connections to the machine: one via USB and one via Shared. The USB connection says" Failed to open session on device". The Shared connection give the following error message:

--
Cannot scan because of the following:

- Scan type set on the scanner is incorrect
- Scanner is busy
- Error occurred in the scanner
- Scanner is in Sleep mode

Check the scanner status and try again.
Scanner driver will be terminated.

Error code: 2100010

--

The scanner is not busy nor in sleeping mode.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I had similar issues with Canon Pixma MP 980s and 990s. Needless to say the directions were of little help - especially with setting up the network/shared connection.

In the end I think I used the Printer preference pane in OS X to set up both printing and scanning bypassing the drivers on the CD entirely. I don't remember exactly how I did it I think it was the following:

1. Connect the Printer via USB and run through the setup from the Print/Scan preference in OS X.
2. Assuming you have already made appropriate setting for wireless networking on the printer choose to add another printer.
3. In the default tab look for the printer - probably has Bonjour as part of the name. It may take a few seconds to appear.
4. At the bottom of that pane under "Use" choose the driver. Then in the IP pane set the protocol to LPD.

The process for scanning was similar and may take several attempts. At one point I had printing working but no scanning.

OP
L
Reaction score
Slydude,

Many thanks! I am absolute novice and assume that when you refer to " default tab" you are referring to the "Print & Scan" pane?

Under "Print & Scan" the Canon machine appears both under "printers" and under "scanner". Under "printers" there is an activity indicator for the machine (currently it is green and says "idle"). There is no such indicator under scanners. I assume this is because there apparently is no connection. I do not understand how this is possible as the iMac apparently does recognize the scanner.

Canon's directions are indeed worthless.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Almost. When you click the + sign in the Print & Scan pane that is where the window I was talking about appears. May not be much help with scanning though. I'll see what I can find out.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Unless things have changed with Canon, their all in one printer's wireless scan function only work correctly for Windows not Mac OS X. I had the same problem with my Canon. It works great as a wireless printer (after some gyrations) but I could never get it to scan wireless. It will scan OK, but not wireless.

OP
L
Reaction score
If the wireless scan function does not work with Mac OS X, they should have made this clear in their specifications...! That would be a real disappointment.

The machine is however also connected via a USB cable, but the iMac only seems to recognize the wireless scanner. I have tried to see if I could add an USB connection to the scanner via the Print & Scan pane, but it seems that I can only add another printer connection and not a scanner connection.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless things have changed with Canon, their all in one printer's wireless scan function only work correctly for Windows not Mac OS X. I had the same problem with my Canon. It works great as a wireless printer (after some gyrations) but I could never get it to scan wireless. It will scan OK, but not wireless.

Not true anymore. Both my Pixma MP 980 and 990 have scanned fine even over the network. Just tested with Image Capture and the 990 and it recognizes fine wirelessly under 10.8.3. I did not go through an actual scan but it is recognized and goes through all necessary motions.

It has worked with other versions of OS X as well but has often been a PITA to set up.

OP
L
Reaction score
It is good to hear that the scan wireless function should work with OS X, so that should not be the cause of the problem I am having with connecting the scanner to my iMac.

I will call the Canon service desk tomorrow to see if they can help. do not understand why they making the installation of this machine so complicated...

Reaction score
Canon scanner

I managed to get it to work.

1) Download the software from Canon and install
2) When you look at "system preferences" only the printer is installed now, not the scanner
3) in "system preferences" install the printer AGAIN (use "+" at left bottom). A pop-up should appear with "Canon MF8500C Series" or the like of kind "Bonjour Multifunction". Press "Add".
4) You now have 2x the Canon installed, if you double click on the second you get a screen with an icon and the label "Scanner" below it.
5) Click on this Scanner icon, a pop-up appears. One of the buttons is "Scan", wait before you push (first step 6)!
6) Go to the printer, put the photo (or whatever) on the flact plate, start the scan function
7) Go back to the Mac and now press the "Scan" button.

Hope this helps... hey... how long this take me... pretty long is the answer...

Regards.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for posting that solution. I had forgotten how to solve this issue. Once I set it up ( couple of OS revisions ago) it has carried forwards with few issues.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No longer a problem for me either. The print head on my Canon died and it just wasn't worth replacing it with "all in one" printers being so inexpensive. I will say one thing though... the Canon was the most difficult printer to setup that I have run across in years. Their software and instructions are the worst of any printer that I have used.

Reaction score
Canon Imageclass Multifunction MF4770n, error 2100010

Hi,

Found the solution.

(for Canon Multifunction MF4770n)

- Go on your printer/scanner
- Press the SCAN button (under COPY and FAX).
- Choose REMOTE SCANNER, press OK.
- Now, in your mac, open "Image Capture" ("Transfert d'images", in french)
- Do your thing, it's now going to work.

Do it every time you want to scan.

If it's not exactly like that, it's probably similar, in the way that you have to press the SCAN button on the scanner/printer, choose one of the possibilities, and try to scan using your favorite software (Image capture is recommended).

;D

Reaction score
mercado durdlb

I have difficulties with connecting a new Canon scanner/printer (MF8580) to my MAC. The printer works fine, but the scan and MAC do not connect. I am starting to wonder whether it is the software that Canon provides with for the scanner function that just is not compatible with a MAC. The CDs in the box were all for windows, so I downloaded the software that is supposedly for MACs from a Canon website.

Maybe a long shot on this forum, but is there anyone that encounter the same or problem (and have been able to solve it)?

For the Canon MF634, go to unit panel and select SCAN/Remote Option. Then go to MAC OS computer and start the scan.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.