Please help me choose a new multi screen system

Reaction score
Hi all.

Am new to the site and would appreciate some help.

I am looking at buying either a new iMac with a thunderbolt display added on, or a mac mini with two thunderbolt displays.

Aesthetics is important in the room it is going in, so I initially leant towards the mini/tb option but I appreciate that the iMac/tb option is more computer for the money (in fact it's slightly cheaper). The most complex application I run is photoshop.

Am I stupid going for the mini/tb option? Also is there any news on a new tb display? Would hate to spend £1800 and then they get updates shortly afterwards?

I quite liked this set up but with a mini instead of the mac book pro....

Mac Desk / Workspace Tour / Walkthrough Macbook Pro with Dual Thunderbolt Monitors - YouTube

Any help or advice would be appreciated

Thanks, Greg

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I would hold off on any Apple purchase until WWDC is finished June 10-14 to see what is announced.

If Thunderbolt isn't an ABSOLUTE requirement for you, perhaps you can go with the Mac Mini and 2 27" displays from Dell or anyone else..that will be cheaper than the TB displays..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Am I stupid going for the mini/tb option?

To be honest...yes! Why you may ask?

Well I'm not saying it to be mean or anything...but I look at it this way. Why spend £1798.00 on two Thunderbolt monitors...and then spend only £499.00 to £679.00 on the computer (Mac-Mini).

Don't get me wrong...both the Mac-Mini and the Thunderbolt displays are great products.

The Mac-Mini is kind of an entry level computer...it doesn't even have dedicated graphics hardware. The Thunderbolt display is probably the best consumer level monitor you can buy...period. So you're thinking of pairing a Mac-Mini (Apple's lowest end computer)...with 2 of the highest quality monitors you can buy.

My recommendations would be:

1. Buy the Mac-Mini...but instead of pairing it with two very expensive Thunderbolt displays...just get two 24"-27" non-Apple display's.
2. Buy a 27" iMac and pair it with one Thunderbolt display.

If money is not an issue (which I'm assuming it isn't if you were thinking of buying TWO Thunderbolt display's);)...I would go with option #2. You get a much more powerful & capable computer...and you still get a dual 27" display setup (both being very high quality displays)! :)

As Raz0rEdge recommended...it may be a good idea to wait until the WWDC...just in case some new products are announced.

Good Luck,:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
I would hold off on any Apple purchase until WWDC is finished June 10-14 to see what is announced.

If Thunderbolt isn't an ABSOLUTE requirement for you, perhaps you can go with the Mac Mini and 2 27" displays from Dell or anyone else..that will be cheaper than the TB displays..

Thanks for the advice. It would have to be a thunderbolt display if any. I am a bit of an Apple junky :)

To be honest...yes! Why you may ask?

Well I'm not saying it to be mean or anything...but I look at it this way. Why spend £1798.00 on two Thunderbolt monitors...and then spend only £499.00 to £679.00 on the computer (Mac-Mini).

Don't get me wrong...both the Mac-Mini and the Thunderbolt displays are great products.

The Mac-Mini is kind of an entry level computer...it doesn't even have dedicated graphics hardware. The Thunderbolt display is probably the best consumer level monitor you can buy...period. So you're thinking of pairing a Mac-Mini (Apple's lowest end computer)...with 2 of the highest quality monitors you can buy.

My recommendations would be:

1. Buy the Mac-Mini...but instead of pairing it with two very expensive Thunderbolt displays...just get two 24"-27" non-Apple display's.
2. Buy a 27" iMac and pair it with one Thunderbolt display.

If money is not an issue (which I'm assuming it isn't if you were thinking of buying TWO Thunderbolt display's);)...I would go with option #2. You get a much more powerful & capable computer...and you still get a dual 27" display setup (both being very high quality displays)! :)

As Raz0rEdge recommended...it may be a good idea to wait until the WWDC...just in case some new products are announced.

Good Luck,:)

- Nick

Thanks Nick

I felt like what I was thinking was stupid, just needed to hear it from another person :)
I kept saying to myself 'why pay more to get less?' and it came down to the aesthetics of having the same looking screen. But it really isn't worth it to that degree. Maybe a thunderbolt display either side of the iMac would look good ;)

To my knowledge the thunderbolt is the same resolution as the iMac screen, but the iMac boasts the new tech bringing the screen closer to the glass for a sharper picture? Is that correct? Or are there other differences?

Also, with the iMac being so new, should I still hold off until after the conference or am I safe?

Thanks again to you both for taking the time to reply.

OP
G
Reaction score
Just had another thought if someone wouldn't mind giving their opinion.

An iMac, plus thunderbolt display, plus time capsule would cost me £2500.

But what about 2 iMacs? Now hear me out on this as initially it seem ridiculous. But it means I don't need the time capsule as I can back up one hard drive to another. And still costs £2800 minus the £100 I would make back on the additional keyboard/mouse that I didn't need making it only a £200 difference. Not to mention better residual value. This gives me the better screens on both displays (the new mac display is noticeably different/better than the thunderbolt) and future proofs me totally as having a thunderbolt now would only lead me to upgrading it when apple inevitably bring it in line with the new mac displays.

Am I crazy? Or is there method in the madness?

Would really appreciate some advice and opinions no matter what they are....:)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Am I crazy? Or is there method in the madness?

Not as crazy of an idea as someone might first think. Those 27" Thunderbolt displays are so expensive...that for just a little bit more cash...someone can purchase a lower-end iMac!:)

But if we are talking the best cost alternative...then purchasing an iMac + a non-Apple display + a "regular" hard drive for backups would cost you MUCH MUCH less!!!

You don't NEED the 2nd external monitor to be an Apple product...and you don't NEED the Apple Time Capsule to do backups.

Yes I know that you mentioned that aesthetics is important in the room it is going in (so maybe you don't want a non-Apple external display). But are two iMacs sitting side by side going to be aesthetically pleasing where everything is being placed???

I'm just asking...since I don't know what you find aesthetically pleasing.;)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Not as crazy of an idea as someone might first think. Those 27" Thunderbolt displays are so expensive...that for just a little bit more cash...someone can purchase a lower-end iMac!:)

But if we are talking the best cost alternative...then purchasing an iMac + a non-Apple display + a "regular" hard drive for backups would cost you MUCH MUCH less!!!

You don't NEED the 2nd external monitor to be an Apple product...and you don't NEED the Apple Time Capsule to do backups.

Yes I know that you mentioned that aesthetics is important in the room it is going in (so maybe you don't want a non-Apple external display). But is two iMacs sitting side by side going to be aesthetically pleasing where everything is being placed???

I'm just asking...since I don't know what you find aesthetically pleasing.;)

- Nick

Thanks for taking the time to reply again Nick

You are totally right, the non apple alternatives for display and hard drive are much cheaper. If anything I could compromise on the back up drive, but not the monitor.

Regarding aesthetics, I just like uniformity in what is in front of me. The tb displays are more minimalist and better looking but the screen quality isnt as good as the new mac, and they are due for an upgrade any time soon. Dropping £1700 on 'old tech' displays for them to be updated soon after I buy them would bother me a lot, to say the least. Especially when I am sacrificing overall performance using a mac mini just to have them

Despite the above, maybe I should get a mid level mac to start and see where things go. I may be running photoshop more than originally planned and it is a good base to start. Then add a tb display afterwards if they are updated and/or I feel the need.

I have a solid oak 170cm desk being delivered wednesday which was purposefully purchased to allow for two screens if it went that way

The two mac idea is simply because the end cost for a mac, tb display, time capsule isn't that far away and I wondered if it was, and I mean this in the loosest sense on the word, the sensible choice? (given what I am looking for) :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The tb displays are more minimalist and better looking but the screen quality isnt as good as the new mac...

Are you positive about this (regarding screen quality)? I was always under the impression that the display panel used in the 27" iMac and the 27" Thunderbolt display...were the exact same display panel. Thus they would have exactly the same display quality.

Please educate me if I am mistaken...since I'm assuming you have been doing a lot of research on this!:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Are you positive about this (regarding screen quality)? I was always under the impression that the display panel used in the 27" iMac and the 27" Thunderbolt display...were the exact same display panel. Thus they would have exactly the same display quality.

Please educate me if I am mistaken...since I'm assuming you have been doing a lot of research on this!:)

- Nick

The LED display is the same but the way it is housed is different.

On the old display (and thunderbolt) there is a gap between the glass and the display which when you look closely is quite visible.

In the new iMac, the display is literally right next to the glass which creates a sharper and more immersive feel to the screen as well as increasing colour rendition. According to Apple it also reduces reflection by 75% which I definately believe. The display has a Matt look to it instead of the glossy screen of old which creates a lot of reflection.

Not that I swallowed the manual or anything :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok. Some of those concerns are non-display related (visual quality) versus build quality or design quality.

And then some of your concerns are visual quality related. Such as the glass being closer to the display & a reduction is glossiness & reflections.

I guess you are at the crossroads of deciding what you can live with & what you cannot live with...also considering price/value...and waiting to see what Apple may or may not be launching soon.

Good luck with the waiting.;) The problem with waiting is..."new" is not always better. For example...the parameters that you seem to be mainly interested in...may or may not be addressed at all in a new model release. So all the waiting could be for nothing. Of course on the other hand...new models could be hugely better.

What did Apple do with the last release of a new iMac??...they eliminated the optical drive! Meh...not so exciting!;)

But if I was a betting person (which I'm usually not)...since Steve Jobs has passed away...Apple has not really released anything that I would call innovative or truly a leap forward. I think that Apple (post Steve Jobs) has become very conservative...and not nearly the risk-taking or as an innovative company as it was when Steve Jobs was in charge.

Just something to think about.;)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Ok. Some of those concerns are non-display related (visual quality) versus build quality or design quality.

And then some of your concerns are visual quality related. Such as the glass being closer to the display & a reduction is glossiness & reflections.

I guess you are at the crossroads of deciding what you can live with & what you cannot live with...also considering price/value...and waiting to see what Apple may or may not be launching soon.

Good luck with the waiting.;) The problem with waiting is..."new" is not always better. For example...the parameters that you seem to be mainly interested in...may or may not be addressed at all in a new model release. So all the waiting could be for nothing. Of course on the other hand...new models could be hugely better.

What did Apple do with the last release of a new iMac??...they eliminated the optical drive! Meh...not so exciting!;)

But if I was a betting person (which I'm usually not)...since Steve Jobs has passed away...Apple has not really released anything that I would call innovative or truly a leap forward. I think that Apple (post Steve Jobs) has become very conservative...and not nearly the risk-taking or as an innovative company as it was when Steve Jobs was in charge.

Just something to think about.;)

- Nick

It is decision time for me really and there is no clear winner.

A fair point about the post Steve Jobs approach that apple has.

One final tech related question. The mac mini on the cards is no longer the entry level but the £679 model with the quad core processor. Can you tell me if that processor along with the intel 4000 graphics card and 4gb ram is enough to run both displays, 5-6 of the 'basic applications (iphoto, iTunes, safari etc.) and photoshop? I am anticipating more editing than i originally thought, and hear that photoshop is more ram based than graphics?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One final tech related question. The mac mini on the cards is no longer the entry level but the £679 model with the quad core processor. Can you tell me if that processor along with the intel 4000 graphics card and 4gb ram is enough to run both displays, 5-6 of the 'basic applications (iphoto, iTunes, safari etc.) and photoshop? I am anticipating more editing than i originally thought, and hear that photoshop is more ram based than graphics?

Here is my opinion regarding the quad-core Mac-Mini you are thinking about:

1. There is lots of room for ram expansion (16 gig max.).
2. If you're talking two 27" Thunderbolt display's...I'm not 100% clear about that. It can run two displays...what's unclear to me is if both can be 2560 x 1440 Thunderbolt displays.

Checkout the display portion in this link...and see what you think:

Mac mini "Core i7" 2.3 (Late 2012) Specs (Late 2012, MD388LL/A, Macmini6,2, A1347, 2570) @ EveryMac.com

3. Yes the Mac-Mini can run all those apps simultaneously. But of course...Photoshop is the most demanding of the apps listed. I think that the quad-core Mac-Mini will do a better job than the dual-core entry level Mac-mini. If you're going to run all those apps + Photoshop...you should probably be thinking of a ram upgrade...probably at least 8gig...or maybe just going for the full 16 gig upfront (since Photoshop does "like" lots & lots of ram).

But if someone was a graphics professional...I don't think that the Mac-Mini (any of the models) would be their first choice for doing Photoshop work. But I think that it will get the job done.

Here are some reviews that were done regarding 2012 Mac-Mini's...and their ability to do graphics work. I didn't read them completely...so they may be totally opposite of what I've been saying:;)

Review: Mac Mini (2012) for Graphic Design, Photo Editing & Video Editing | Parka Blogs

Lab Tested: 2012 Mac mini gets a nice speed boost | Macworld

Apple Mac mini (Late 2012) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

New Mac mini review (2012) - PC Advisor

HTH,

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
Here is my opinion regarding the quad-core Mac-Mini you are thinking about:

1. There is lots of room for ram expansion (16 gig max.).
2. If you're talking two 27" Thunderbolt display's...I'm not 100% clear about that. It can run two displays...what's unclear to me is if both can be 2560 x 1600 Thunderbolt displays.

Checkout the display portion in this link...and see what you think:

Mac mini "Core i7" 2.3 (Late 2012) Specs (Late 2012, MD388LL/A, Macmini6,2, A1347, 2570) @ EveryMac.com

3. Yes the Mac-Mini can run all those apps simultaneously. But of course...Photoshop is the most demanding of the apps listed. I think that the quad-core Mac-Mini will do a better job than the dual-core entry level Mac-mini. If you're going to run all those apps + Photoshop...you should probably be thinking of a ram upgrade...probably at least 8gig...or maybe just going for the full 16 gig upfront (since Photoshop does "like" lots & lots of ram).

But if someone was a graphics professional...I don't think that the Mac-Mini (any of the models) would be their first choice for doing Photoshop work. But I think that it will get the job done.

Here are some reviews that were done regarding 2012 Mac-Mini's...and their ability to do graphics work. I didn't read them completely...so they may be totally opposite of what I've been saying:;)

Review: Mac Mini (2012) for Graphic Design, Photo Editing & Video Editing | Parka Blogs

Lab Tested: 2012 Mac mini gets a nice speed boost | Macworld

Apple Mac mini (Late 2012) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

New Mac mini review (2012) - PC Advisor

HTH,

- Nick

Some great links there. A scan read shows pretty much what my google searches have done, but confirms in my mind that the mid range mac mini can handle pretty much anything other than high res gaming and complex video edits, neither of which I will be using.

I think a dual screen system will look better with the thunderbolt displays as they are uniformed and there will be no difference in the colour rendition as there would be with a mac and tb display on the side.

If it's going to be single screen then a mid spec mac will be the choice.

Two macs is adding another £400 which increases my already excessive and larger than necessary budget to get the tasks done I want.

A trip to the shop and a final decision tomorrow for me then. I'll report back and let you know which way I went. Your help has gone a long way towards making it easier, so thank for your time and advice. Greatly appreciated :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some great links there. A scan read shows pretty much what my google searches have done, but confirms in my mind that the mid range mac mini can handle pretty much anything other than high res gaming and complex video edits, neither of which I will be using.

I think a dual screen system will look better with the thunderbolt displays as they are uniformed and there will be no difference in the colour rendition as there would be with a mac and tb display on the side.

I think that we may now be starting to cover a little bit of "old ground" that we covered earlier in thread.

This is a subjective opinion I mentioned earlier...that I thought that it was a shame to spend all that money on two Thunderbolt displays...and so little money (relatively) on the computer itself (Mac-Mini). Like I said...a very subjective opinion on my part.;)

Just wanted to mention one other quick thing. If you decide to get the Mac-Mini and two Thunderbolt displays...make sure 100% that the Mac-Mini can run both of those monitors at their native resolution (2560 x 1440). This may mean a phone call to Apple...or a visit to your local Apple Store.

Good luck deciding,:)

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
I think that we may now be starting to cover a little bit of "old ground" that we covered earlier in thread.

This is a subjective opinion I mentioned earlier...that I thought that it was a shame to spend all that money on two Thunderbolt displays...and so little money (relatively) on the computer itself (Mac-Mini). Like I said...a very subjective opinion on my part.;)

Just wanted to mention one other quick thing. If you decide to get the Mac-Mini and two Thunderbolt displays...make sure 100% that the Mac-Mini can run both of those monitors at their native resolution (2560 x 1440). This may mean a phone call to Apple...or a visit to your local Apple Store.

Good luck deciding,:)

- Nick

Hi Nick.

Went for the dual thunderbolt displays and the mac mini. Decided as it was more than enough computer for what I needed that it was the best choice and aesthetically it's just what I wanted :D

Just watched the keynote for wwdc. Can't see anything that would alter my decision. Only thing relevant to my purchase was that new mac pros will have thunderbolt 2 and 4k screen and video capability. I have no idea when that would be available on other macs or new thunderbolt displays as the new mac pro doesn't even have a date for sale yet. Don't fancy waiting to be honest as it could be ages

Did you see it?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Went for the dual thunderbolt displays and the mac mini. Decided as it was more than enough computer for what I needed that it was the best choice and aesthetically it's just what I wanted :D

Congratulations!:) I'm sure it feels good to have made the decision. Please post a photo & your initial experiences once you receive everything & get it setup.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
After a long overdue update, I would love to share some pictures and my experience of my system, especially after all the great advice. Would someone mind helping me with the best method to upload photos.

Thanks

OP
G
Reaction score
So here is my long overdue update.

In the end I purchased...

2 x 27" thunderbolt displays
A Mac mini with quad core 2.3ghz i7 processor and 4gb ram
Wireless keyboard
Magic mouse

And here is a picture as it sits on my desk

My desk by Greg_P1, on Flickr

I am very happy with the system, despite it not being the most computer I could have got for the money. The uniformity between the screens is exactly what I wanted.

The computer has run very quickly over my first months usage (which was very light). Since then I have become more involved with photography as a hobby and have the following kit.

Canon 60d
Canon 18-55mm kit lens
Canon 50mm 1.8 prime lens
Canon 70-200 non is L lens

A modest set of kit compared to some photographers but I am pleased with what I have.

I also added a Wacom Intuos 5 graphics tablet as seen in the photo.

I have also started running Lightroom 5 and doing some heavy editing to pictures which has tested the power of the mac mini a lot more. If I have other applications running in the background and I ask for Lightroom to perform something complex at the same time, then there can be some minor lag. To mitigate this I close other applications during its use (other than safari if watching a tutorial).

Since starting to use Lightroom the two screens have come into there own, making watching a full hd tutorial on one screen, and editing in Lightroom on the other, a joy to do. Also Lightroom has a dedicated button to spread the application and its features/library etc. over two screens, which was a great little find.

I imagine using Photoshop in the future and this will test the Mac mini even further. I plan on upgrading the ram from 4gb to its max 16gb soon.

I have also just ordered a LaCie 3TB external hard drive for use with time machine.

Thank you to everyone who helped. If anyone would like any other pictures of anything then i'll post them up.

To finish off, here is a photo taken including the oak desk when things are a little less clean and more how it looks on a day to day basis.

Any opinions etc. welcomed

My desk by Greg_P1, on Flickr

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Looks great!:) I think by purchasing 2 Thunderbolt display's...you are personally responsible for Apple having a profitable quarter last quarter!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.