Major problems with Windows support drivers for bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi there,

So for the past few days or so I have been trying to get windows 8 installed on bootcamp but have had tons of problems. Where I am at right now is i get to the installation screen for windows 8 pro (32bit) it stops and asks for the drivers to be installed before going any further. I have looked into many different options and none of them have gotten me past this point. I have tried to reformat a USB thumb drive to run unetbootin which would act as a mounted disk image and hopefully be detected as a way of installing the drivers. Anytime I tried this the installation program would allow me to browse and look for drivers files within the USB and it continues to say that it cannot locate any drivers.

I also have the actual Mac osx cd (10.6.3) and have been trying to use that as a way of installing the drivers. However, when I get to that screen, anything I do will not eject the windows 8 installation cd from the disk drive! I've thoroughly confused myself seeing as this straight forward method just won't let me get the windows cd out to put in the mac osx cd so that I can continue with the rest of the installation.

This got me thinking that maybe my disk drive is just faulty or something. Therefore, I went and borrowed a friend's Superdrive (I had to do a small hack so that my computer would actually detect it). I tried putting both cds in, one in the external and one in the internal superdrive, and they were both running. But my computer again could not detect the drivers cd and I could not continue the rest of the installation.

This is baffling and frustrating me to no end. Does anyone have anymore suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

Computer Specs:

Computer is about 3 years old now
Macbook Pro6,2
Intel Core i5
2.4 GHz
4GB RAM

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The drivers for Windows 7 and 8 are not on the Snow Leopard DVD. They must be downloaded from Apple and placed either on a CD or flash drive to install once Windows is running. Did you receive a message from the Boot Camp Assistant to download the drivers?

OP
J
Reaction score
yeah it gives me the option of downloading the drivers. If I go through with that then later it just says download could not continue. The Windows support software is not available.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, you're not going to be able to get those drivers elsewhere. Keep trying to complete the download from Apple. Try again.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, it's telling you that your machine is not eligible for downloading the software. Try going direct to the Apple Boot Camp updates and download the latest from there. Here is the LINK.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 M1 MB Air
32 bit Windows 8 versions are not supported by Bootcamp now - only 64 bit versions. Having said that I did manage to install 32 bit Windows 8 by installing it as Windows 7 using the slightly older drivers (for Bootcamp 4 iirc). But I get a message on startup reporting that there are known incompatibility problems with Bootcamp 4 and Windows (even though I'm actually using Bootcamp 5.0.3) though this does not visibly affect its running and the message can easily be cancelled.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.