File upload to Amazon iCloud

Reaction score
I recently bought 100 gigabytes of space on the Amazon iCloud so that I can store 50 gigabytes of photos and other documents etc.
So far, it has taken thee days to upload 1% of the photo files! How do I speed up the upload process because at this rate it will take months!

C

chas_m

Amazon does not have an "iCloud."

I presume what you have actually bought is 100GB of space on Amazon's Cloud Drive.

The speed at which you can upload material is determined entirely by your internet connection's upstream speed. If you stop the uploading and do a test using something like speedtest.net I suspect we're dealing with a very slow upstream speed.

This is PRECISELY why I dislike cloud storage for large amounts of data: it costs a *FORTUNE* to get a really high upload speed, and without that it will indeed take you WEEKS to upload 50GB of photos etc.

Your main option is to speak to your internet provider about how much it would cost to increase your upload speed.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Agree with chas. 1% does sound extremely low after 3 days though. The typical upload for a lot of people on high speed internet is 1Mbps... Which, if using that entire bandwidth (not gonna happen) to do nothing but upload 50GB would take about 5 days around the clock. I'd expect it to take probably 10 days on a 1Mbps connection. If your internal drive dies, it's going to take a long time to download that 50GB also.

A better option would be to purchase a 500GB - 1TB external drive (or better yet 2 of them) - create a bootable backup with CCC on both of them (take maybe an hour or 2 for each one), keep one of them at home for your daily or weekly backups and keep one of them at work (or a friend's or relatives house) in case of fire/theft. And then trade out the backup drives once a week/month.

OP
S
Reaction score
Amazon Cloud Drive

Thank you for the answer to my problem. Quite correct.It is the Amazon Cloud Drive. My ISP is TalkTalk who want an additional £10.00 a month to improve my upload speed!
The expense defeats the object of buying cloud storage, rather than buying a backup hard drive, which had been my original plan!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
This is PRECISELY why I dislike cloud storage for large amounts of data: it costs a *FORTUNE* to get a really high upload speed, and without that it will indeed take you WEEKS to upload 50GB of photos etc.

And adding to what chas_m stated, it's also the reason why I do not endorse an on line backup service. I have a very fast FIOS connection but it would still take hours on end to upload my data to an on line backup server. For what I would have to pay and the time it takes, it would be more economical to purchase a fast Thunderbolt drive and cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.