OS X Slow After Switching from Windows

Reaction score
When I use Windows via Bootcamp, then restart into OS X, my mac is very slow for about 10 mins, with the fans on full.

This sounds like what is described here, however the fix suggested has not helped in my case. Now, it's still slow for 10 mins, then software hangs, I lose all context menus and I have to power off. Once I power on again, all is fine.

Has anyone else experienced this?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What exactly are you doing when you're using Windows? In other words, are you playing graphic intensive games or running a program that's causing the machine to heat up and the fans ramping up? If so, then it's normal when switching back to OS X for the machine to still be hot and the fans running at a higher RPM to cool things down.

Did you try the suggested fix to turn off Spotlight so it doesn't try to index? By the way, I ran both Windows XP and later on Windows 7 via Boot Camp and never had that problem.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
How full is the hard drive?...or more specifically...how full is the Mac OS X partition (total gigs devoted to the Mac OS X partition & how many gigs used or free)?

- Nick

OP
Reaction score
What exactly are you doing when you're using Windows? In other words, are you playing graphic intensive games or running a program that's causing the machine to heat up and the fans ramping up? If so, then it's normal when switching back to OS X for the machine to still be hot and the fans running at a higher RPM to cool things down.
Sometimes games, but this is not a performance issue being carried across, this slow down doesn't happen while still in Windows. Also, the fans do not start until after the OSX login.

Did you try the suggested fix to turn off Spotlight so it doesn't try to index? By the way, I ran both Windows XP and later on Windows 7 via Boot Camp and never had that problem.
Yes, that is the fix I referenced in my original post (the one that appears to be making things worse)

How full is the hard drive?...or more specifically...how full is the Mac OS X partition (total gigs devoted to the Mac OS X partition & how many gigs used or free)?

- Nick
210GB devoted to OS X partition, 97GB free.

OP
Reaction score
It seems to be helpd that is the additional thing hogging RAM, after reboot. As I understand, this downloads content for the HelpViewer, so I don't know what the connection is with Bootcamp..

OP
Reaction score
That said, even if I disable that, OSX still locks up. It seems destined to always crash after 10 minutes. It's really odd that it's just the first boot after using Bootcamp, as soon as power off and restart everything is fine.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.